PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get My Clutch Adjusted

Turf-Terminator
01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
I just put a new clutch cable on a 92 Quadracer. The clutch worked fine before, the old cable was just stretched. Now when you try to shift into first it stalls just as if you didn't pull in the clutch. And yes I have tried adjusting the crap out of it. I had this same problem on one that I rebuilt last year, but I can't remember how I fixed it.
Thanks for any help/advice

LTandRaptorider
02-01-2010, 05:39 PM
It's stalling because you still have too much play in the cable. Adjust the cable first down at the clutch arm end. Then do the final adjustment at the clutch lever end. Should only have a little take-up play when pulling the clutch lever. Did you take off the clutch arm when you put the cable on? Make sure you tightened it again on the shaft. Yes, it's easy to forget that!

Turf-Terminator
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Yes I did pull off the arm, I did remember to take the play out of the shaft, and to tighten the arm back down. And I have tried various combinations, it feels like the clutch engages when you pull the lever when you put your foot down the wheeler jumps ahead and stalls.

LTandRaptorider
02-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Hmmm... All you did was put a new cable on? And the clutch worked fine before doing that... If you have the cable adjusted, clutch arm tightened on the shaft, not slipping there... Did you put the arm back on in the same position? When sitting on the quad, looking at the arm it should point straight out from quad at 3 o'clock position. If it is a little too far forward, even with the cable adjusted it may not pull the arm enough to dis-engage the clutch. That is about the only thing else I can think of if everything else is good.

LTandRaptorider
03-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Or check to make sure the clutch basket isn't grooved from clutch plate wear! ;)

Yes, I saw your other post about this! :blah:

rodelikestole
03-29-2010, 12:47 PM
a freind's shee had clutch slipping bad, bought new clutch then a cable and it still slipped. it ended up being not enough pull on his perch to fully engage. try one with a longer pull.

Turf-Terminator
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the help guys, turns out that it was the clutch basket that was the problem, I guess it just happened to fail when I changed the cable, What a frustrating coincidence!!