PDA

View Full Version : reed spacer question

bloodswet&gears
01-30-2010, 10:36 PM
does a reed spacer improve low end or high end on a 2 stroke?

i know it helps high end on a 4 cycle eng., but i feel like i lost low end power when i took mine off. thinkin about puttin it back on. just wanna make sure.

atvmxr
01-30-2010, 10:46 PM
supposed to increase low end. you put it between reeds and cylinder, right? seen some people put it between reeds and carb boot - that dont work worth a shiz... :)

bloodswet&gears
01-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
supposed to increase low end. you put it between reeds and cylinder, right? seen some people put it between reeds and carb boot - that dont work worth a shiz... :) yea. it was between the cyl. & reeds. i put a rad valve on it without the spacer. now im gonna try it with the spacer. when i bought it it had a stock reed cage that had been "opened up" a little. seemed like it ran better low end with that and the reed spacer.

250rPRIDE
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
ya its for bottom end for sure.. rad valves are more for top, but putting the spacer back on with increase you bottom end a little bit again.. if you like bottom, try a fmf pipe or pt type 6 pipe, with a 36 AS carb and run a foam air filter they help on bottom over the k&n style paper type filter.. also you can get good bottom out of gearing..check out the 12t front sprocket thread

1promodfan
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
ya its for bottom end for sure.. rad valves are more for top, but putting the spacer back on with increase you bottom end a little bit again.. if you like bottom, try a fmf pipe or pt type 6 pipe, with a 36 AS carb and run a foam air filter they help on bottom over the k&n style paper type filter.. also you can get good bottom out of gearing..check out the 12t front sprocket thread

Rad Valves more for top???:confused: Not hardly, a rad valve offers more bottom and mid-range. If you want mid to top end go with V-force reeds. About the only time you're gonna notice any difference with a reed spacer (if any) is on a stock 250 cylinder. When you go to a bigger style cylinder like a 310 and up I don't think you're gonna notice any difference.

250rPRIDE
01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
all i do is go by my personal experiance, and i drag my 250r to see what works, so you have proof most mods are so little you cant feel a differance, and a rad valve gave me 2 mph and .1 fast time at the drags. didnt change another thing. other than vforce 3's out for the rad, on the same night, so it was the same temp, fuel, and conditions. thats what i did with pipes, air filters, carbs ect.. bolt on items. i run twice with one item then switch for 2 more runs, on test and tune nights. and that was my out come with vforce 3 set up to a rad.
thanks