PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring headlights

buster024
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
To begin, I'm pretty retarded when it comes to wiring, so bear with my ignorance here....

I'm mounting new headlights, and I'm trying to figure out how to wire it to the existing switch. The existing light harness has a green, blue, and white wire. The new lights have a shared wire, a ground wire, and a long battery lead.

I'm assuming the existing on/off switch on the bike already has a battery lead, and a ground, so I'm guessing I don't need to even use the ones supplied with the lights. I'm thinking I just need to wire the shared wire in, but I'm not sure which of the blue, green, or white wire is the right one.
I got the lights to work if I use the switch supplied with the kit, but I'd prefer to use the existing switch on my bars.

Help if you can!

(I can post pics of the wiring diagrams if needed).

gt400ex
01-31-2010, 02:06 AM
I dont have the wiring diagram in front of me but the factory honda light switch has a high and low setting so your going to have power in and the other 2 will light up when you move the switch to low or high. Best way to find which wire dose what is with a test light then just wire from there.

vaget22
01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
What you need to do is go to a car parts store and get a relay switch. The power from the handlebar switch is way too weak to power more lights. Also if the lights you are adding are 55watts each your alternator might not be able to keep up with the power draw. You can get some 35watt bulbs and your charging system can keep up with that. The relay is easy to hook up. I'll walk you through it if your interested. I have a background in Electronics so I won't cause you to fry anything.

honda400ex2003
01-31-2010, 07:42 PM
you could also wire them so both the high and low are on at the same time. it would probably create alot of heat inside the covers though. would def be nice to be able to see though. steve

buster024
02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Just to clarify, these will be my only lights. I don't have the factory lights installed any longer, so there shouldn't be a draw issue.
I got some cool wire connectors from a friend that just click wires together, so it should just be a matter of trial and error (I'm hoping).

vaget22
02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
If you go the trial and error rout make sure you have some extra fuses handy. Its not a huge deal if you blow a fuse or two. I still recommend a relay. The lights will work without them but they will be brighter with a relay. The handlebar switch will cause you to lose some power before it gets to the lights. A relay costs about $8 and will get the full power to the lights. Its only a little more work while you are in there and its way worth the extra work. BTW the Blue wire is the high and the White is the low.

buster024
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
PM sent to Vaget....