PDA

View Full Version : Red hot headers.

nakomis0
01-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Hows that work again? When its cold does your bike run leaner or richer?

I just started my bike after its been sitting a real long time. After about 10 minutes of it starting and dieing, I got its started and kept it rev'd up for about 5 minutes. Thats when I noticed the header was glowing red.

I know my fuel is old and my bike barely even starts with old fuel, but I don't think that would cause me to run that hot.

I'm also over filled on my oil by about 1/2 a Qt. I think. but that I don't think would make it run hot.

I'm guessing the weather, because its the frozen tundra right now in Michigan. Tomarrows temp is 3 degrees, and -10 degree with thte wind chill.:mad:

Let me know what ya think.

northeast400
01-22-2003, 05:46 PM
I have seen the same thing here in New Hampshiere, it's a warm and toasty -10 degrees , and to answer your question you run leaner in the cold!!!!!! I hate cold!!!!!!!!Bring the Spring.

Nausty
01-22-2003, 09:30 PM
hes right, it runs leaner in the cold, richen her up! I don't even have to choke it anymore in this weather and it starts right up:D Plus it runs cooler when its richer so your not losing power when it starts to get to hot.

hotex
01-23-2003, 07:56 AM
If you have a stainless pipe, that's normal, don't change a thing. I see you also have a cam too. That dumps more raw fuel into the exhaust. So you have two things that cause your pipes to glow. You'll notice it was just the first 10" or so of the pipe that glowed too. The pipe where it attaches to the head doesn't glow, it's USUALLY about 2" from the spigot to about the 10" mark or so where the pipe turns red. For what you have, that's normal. No worries.

Tony

nakomis0
01-23-2003, 08:29 PM
I had a 173 main. I went up to a 185 main. The pipes started to glow after about 30 seconds. I hate carbs.:grr

I never had problems before. So i'm going to wait for some warmer weather, and try it then with some fresh gas.

cals400ex
01-24-2003, 10:22 AM
the red pipes usually indicate a lean setting. i increased the main jet a little for the cold. i also moved the clip down one position on the needle. this eliminated all of the hesitation on the bike when it is cold outside. also, i have a 42 pilot jet in. try to drive it a little and check your plug color. white = lean black = rich light tan = good jetting.

Steve-o 400EX
01-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the red pipes usually indicate a lean setting. i increased the main jet a little for the cold. i also moved the clip down one position on the needle. this eliminated all of the hesitation on the bike when it is cold outside. also, i have a 42 pilot jet in. try to drive it a little and check your plug color. white = lean black = rich light tan = good jetting.

Yea thats what i would do.

nakomis0
01-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Ya thats probably right.

I went up from a 173 to a 185, and ran out of main jets. The next up size I have is 195. That sounds too huge. Its way to cold to work on it. :rolleyes: