PDA

View Full Version : how much is a port and polish job

steve181
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
how much do they run now

Honda#4
01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Mine at the time from C&D Racing was $175 if I remember right.

honda400ex2003
01-31-2010, 10:25 AM
i think i paid right around 110 for a mild port and polish on mine. steve

bigbad400
01-31-2010, 10:54 AM
gt thunders catalog says its 495.00 for a 4 valve port and polish.

there price for a 2 stroke is 450.00 for a port and polish.

quality is a big factor in price. ill do it for ya for 75$ but its def not gonna be what you expect from a good port and polish. it takes skill and knowledge, more than just having the right tools for the job.

honda400ex2003
01-31-2010, 11:05 AM
very agreed ^^ it depends on how much you want done and what type of porting is done also. steve

Btown440EX
01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
I had a stage 2 port and polish job done in Mount Carmel, PA and it cost me $480. Advanced Machining Inc. did the work and would highly recommend him, very professional and very clean shop.

redrider74
01-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
gt thunders catalog says its 495.00 for a 4 valve port and polish.

there price for a 2 stroke is 450.00 for a port and polish.

quality is a big factor in price. ill do it for ya for 75$ but its def not gonna be what you expect from a good port and polish. it takes skill and knowledge, more than just having the right tools for the job.

2 stroke port and polish? 2 strokes don't have valves.. you just buy reeds..

as far as how much port & polish costs you have a lot of options.. different companies make different HP numbers on different machines.. many companies have options for valve seat cutting for over sized valves or you could just get new stock size valves depending on the age of the bike.. aftermarket valve springs and retainers are always an option too..

bigbad400
01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
lol you dont just buy reeds thats ridiculous you port the intake and exhaust on a 2 stroke just like you would the 4 strokes, the dif is there is valves to look out for on a 4 stroke. your "valves" on a 2 stroke are your reeds. but they only control the amount of air, so to get more air you port it and when the reeds open up they have more gap to flow. its the exact same principle. just dif.

bigbad400
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
and going to bigger valves wont do anything unless you port it to match. stiffer springs and like are there for hi compression motors because the added compression makes the valves float otherwise. they wont fully seat. stiffer springs are also a waste unless you need them. the port and polish you get for 1-200 dollars will be nothing compared to a gt thunder job or a sparks racing job or something.

age of the bike should not determine whether you get bigger valves either, bigger valves are for bigger flow and only make a dif when you have the need to move more air. if you ruin a seat you can get bigger valves to replace them in that case but as far as power it wont matter until there is a need for it.

no offence ment here but these are common errors.

86 Quad R
02-01-2010, 07:13 AM
a 4-stroke porting imo should be 1/2 of the labor cost. the remainder is in the dissassemble, inspection, valve seating and reassemble. i can see a port job costing 300 plus provided these things are done but shouldnt cost any where near that if the customer elects to have that portion farmed out by another. a 2-stroker on the other hand can get a bit more involved.

redrider74
02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
and going to bigger valves wont do anything unless you port it to match. stiffer springs and like are there for hi compression motors because the added compression makes the valves float otherwise. they wont fully seat. stiffer springs are also a waste unless you need them. the port and polish you get for 1-200 dollars will be nothing compared to a gt thunder job or a sparks racing job or something.

age of the bike should not determine whether you get bigger valves either, bigger valves are for bigger flow and only make a dif when you have the need to move more air. if you ruin a seat you can get bigger valves to replace them in that case but as far as power it wont matter until there is a need for it.

no offence ment here but these are common errors.

he wanted to know how much a port and polish job costs so I told him the different options he would see when talking to a company about a port and polish job. obviously if you order over sized valves the company would port it to match.. why wouldn't they? valve springs are also needed when getting most custom ground cams.. I didn't say the age of the bike was to determine weather or not to get BIGGER valves but simply new replacement stock size.. you obviously miss read what I was saying.. the author didn't list his mods and didn't say what he was looking to get.. I told him what he would find not what set up will make the most HP

redrider74
02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
lol you dont just buy reeds thats ridiculous you port the intake and exhaust on a 2 stroke just like you would the 4 strokes, the dif is there is valves to look out for on a 4 stroke. your "valves" on a 2 stroke are your reeds. but they only control the amount of air, so to get more air you port it and when the reeds open up they have more gap to flow. its the exact same principle. just dif.

yes, your valves on a 2 stroke are your reeds but reeds are not valves. instead of porting your stock reeds it would be a much better idea to just buy an aftermarket set. are you gonna tell me 2 strokes have "cams" too?

86 Quad R
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
the reeds are infact a valve and function only to prevent backpressure from returning to the intake trac but the piston itself serves as the main component for timing everything.

redrider74
02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
the reeds are infact a valve and function only to prevent backpressure from returning to the intake trac but the piston itself serves as the main component for timing everything.

That's like what I'm trying to say.. the piston times everything.. completely different from a 4 stroke..

86 Quad R
02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
yup one big ole multifunction valve lol

bigbad400
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
i didnt say you port the reeds on a 2 stroke, you buy say v force reeds because they perform better, they dont fluctuate as much as stock and they close tighter to make a better seal on hi compression 2 stroke motors so it doesnt leak on the exhaust stroke.

you port and polish on a 2 stroke the intake channels behind the reeds and when the reed "valve" opens it can allow for more air to flow after you port it. so dont tell me im wrong. i have built so many motors its ridiculous. 2 strokes have an intake valve just like 4 strokes, the piston runs an exhaust stroke to get rid of the fumes. and the valve is not controlled by a spring set and cam.

porting a 2 stroke imo should be easier, you do the same thing, there is just alot less to do. like stated most of the job on a 4 stroke is taking the valves out. that takes seconds on a 2 stroke.

redrider74
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
i didnt say you port the reeds on a 2 stroke, you buy say v force reeds because they perform better, they dont fluctuate as much as stock and they close tighter to make a better seal on hi compression 2 stroke motors so it doesnt leak on the exhaust stroke.

you port and polish on a 2 stroke the intake channels behind the reeds and when the reed "valve" opens it can allow for more air to flow after you port it. so dont tell me im wrong. i have built so many motors its ridiculous. 2 strokes have an intake valve just like 4 strokes, the piston runs an exhaust stroke to get rid of the fumes. and the valve is not controlled by a spring set and cam.

porting a 2 stroke imo should be easier, you do the same thing, there is just alot less to do. like stated most of the job on a 4 stroke is taking the valves out. that takes seconds on a 2 stroke.

I'm not telling you you're wrong about 2 stroke porting. Id on't know much about 2 strokes and personally I don't care until I get one.