PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock questions

Hutchracer
01-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Will a 89 rear shock setup work on a 87 or will I need a late model swing arm? Will it work if I use the linkage from my 87?
Is there much advantage with runnig the 88-89 swingarm

250rPRIDE
01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
88 89 swinger are shorter. and yes a 89 shock works fine but like you said yourself you'll need to use the older 86 87 style linkage. i dont think a 89 rear is any better for any reason, i know a lot of guys that run a 86 atc trike rear shock.

what style of riding do you do?

Hutchracer
01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
I am mainly a play rider but I will be taking it to the dunes and the track once in awhile. We race MX with bikes but was thinking of giving it a go on the quad as well but that would be more of a WORCS style of riding. My quad has TCS dual rate front shocks with lonestar A-arms so the front is ready to go just need to do the rear. Whats the difference from a ATC shock vs a TRX shock. I own 2 85 ATC 250Rs and I have ATC shocks that could be rebuilt if they are better.

250rPRIDE
01-30-2010, 04:04 PM
i cant say if they are better for mx but for play riding and trails and some jumping they work awsome they are more plush and forgiving on a trx.i have rode my buddy's with one the was freshky rebuilt!! and wow.. but if you rebuild a 89 shock like you got i am sure they can revalve it and build it for your weight and riding style..

deathman53
01-30-2010, 04:54 PM
the difference between atc and trx shocks is the valving and top mount(wider on atc). 85/86 atc shocks are very close to 86 trx shocks, the major difference is the wider top mount and smaller bottom shock bolt on the 85. With 86 atc, the difference is the wider top shock mount, everything else is the same as 86 trx, it had the longest shock and dogbone, 85 atc used the same dogbone. Then came 87 suspension, it used the shorter dogbone(87-89 used it) and a slightly shorter shock. 88/89 used a even shorter shock and same dogbone as 87. The difference with the shorter swingarm wasn't anything to do with shorter dogbone, the shock length and valving were changed for that.