PDA

View Full Version : smoke rings coming out of my motor 03 kfx400

bigevil
01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
just bought this 03 kfx 400 yesterday but didnt get to ride it much b4 i bought it due to the rain . i rode it today and after it warms up there little smoke rings coming out of a weep hole on the left side of the jug . whats this and why is it doing it . i have been searching forms all day . havnt found anything yet . your thoughts or facts plz . thanks robert

miles Machine
01-29-2010, 09:09 PM
post in z400 thread

MtnEX
01-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the Suzuki LT Z400 is the same machine.
Ask them over there.

I assume it's that weep hole under the return gooseneck for the coolant line.

I just saw the same weep hole looking thing on the jug of my KFX 450R when I was looking all over trying to figure out where a smell of coolant was coming from.

I remember wondering what that was for?

If you find out, let me know.

bigevil
01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
thanks . i cleaned around where the spark plug is and replaced with a new plug and it went away but now i eather my oil pump is out or the filter is pluged

miles Machine
01-30-2010, 07:54 PM
the weep hole is for water to escape from the spark plug area...the smoke you seen was prolly just moisture burning off......on the z/kfx/dvx they have a plastic idler gear that drives the oil pump its common form them to shear teeth and drop into the engine if its not that its ether a whooped pump or the oil bypass passage is plugged....if you need i have a spare pump i would sell...and if the plastic gear teeth fell into the base id prolly split the cases and clean it and while im in there replace the bearings and cam chain...the chain is a common item to go on them......if you need somone to rebuild it or do any substantial motor work i am a certified tech and i have my own shop at my house ive done all my buddy race quads and alot off ppls motorcycles, snowmobiles, atv's etc around here but im trying to expand...cheapest prices around....just let me know

bigevil
01-30-2010, 08:16 PM
thanks man . i will let you know . is there anyway i can mount a oil psi gauge just so i can see whats going on inside . i would like to put one on my 07kfx700 . what psi do these things run ?

miles Machine
01-30-2010, 08:26 PM
first question is when you put a new oil filter in does oil get to it...if not then you have no pressure.....there is a spot you can put a pressure gauge right by the oil filter.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mlsmchn/z400pressure.jpg

bigevil
01-30-2010, 08:43 PM
thanks . i will check it out monday when the shop opens so i can get a filter . what site did you get info ?

MtnEX
01-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Glad to finally see a tech on here.

And Kudos to you for helping out.

If you stay like that, your reputation will build and precede you... and you will go far in your business.

Now... that being said... and since you this is actually in the KFX 450R section... do you think you are able to mess with these complicated animals?

miles Machine
01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Electronics are my specialty.....and seeing as how these have alot of elec. problems i could probably be of some help....i would love to get my hangs on one just to test some systems.

i got my service manual info from my own personal collection i have one for almost every atv

MtnEX
01-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by miles Machine
Electronics are my specialty.....and seeing as how these have alot of elec. problems i could probably be of some help....i would love to get my hangs on one just to test some systems.

i got my service manual info from my own personal collection i have one for almost every atv

I have one I would love to let you get your hands on the electrical...

My state has the wrong letter after the N though (NC).

Dang thing can drain the battery down overnight... but if I park it in gear, shut off with key, and leave the thumb kill switch on... no problems at all.

It also can stall out at lower RPM before even bogging.

The servicing dealer is dealing with Kawasaki trying to figure this out.

I am starting to think it is a hot wire somewhere arcing off or touching something. I can't wrap my head around how the thumb kill being on stops the drain though?

On the stalling... all I can find wrong with a meter is that the crank sensor resistance does not ohm out in range. Resistance is low. But I have seen it test barely in range when hot. I can't wrap my head around that one either.

If you can make any sense of it at all, I'm all ears/eyes.

I even have went as far as to get a color coded wiring schematic with all systems in a single diagram... I could get you that if you would look at it and give your opinion.