PDA

View Full Version : Whats in your toolbox??

redonkulousruntsracing
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm looking to retire my old 1/2" Craftsman corded impact, it's pretty weak now and I use it on Seth's quad when I am home. The toughest bolts I take off are for the roundhouse bolts that I torque at 80 ft/lbs with a torque wrench.

I am considering a new cordless impact so its portable and lighter, I am looking at the new, tiny Milwaukee M12 3/8 impact with the Lithium/Ion batteries for about $150-180. Thought I would ask opinions on what others use for the same type of work. I really dont want to spend over $200 for one. I'm looking for a tool to take his quad down to the bare frame with. The sticks of M80 are too tempting !! :blah:

Whats in your tool box and how much was it??

mkeane
01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
i work for a pretty large construction company and we use the Panasonic. i also use one on my quads and am very happy with it. Not sure on price though.

EthansDad
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
a cordless impact has been on my wish list for a while. problem is you can't find a decent one below $200. I recently found at northern tool and equipment that had a new one, 1/2 drive, (2) 24v batts and charger for $99! I bought it over xmas (my wife did not like it and gave it back to me :) )

so far, I really like it. works great for the price. I'm sure there are better and if I was in construction using it everyday I'd lay down the money for a btter one. This is what I'd recommend for quad work.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200342878_200342878

Colby@C&DRacing
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Our team has been using Milwaukee impacts for several years and we've been really happy with the performance and battery life on the lithium ion 18v tools

marsrace2
01-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I got one for 60 Bucks at Menards, came with 2 batteries and has worked great for over a year. It is the generic "tool shop" brand.

redonkulousruntsracing
01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
there are a bunch of cheap "no name" ones on ebay that I might try, I'm not above that, but that little 12v Milwaukee looks nice.
I just don t know if it would have enough cojones to tear down a quad. It would be nice for clutch maintenence, but wonder if it would take off lug nuts, swing arm bolts, clutch nuts....

kfx450
01-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I love my dewalt but I think it was over 200. It is the smaller version that uses quick connects. I will do almost everything wont take off a swingarm nut or the large axle nuts. This is very light and easy to work with though.

Andyman17dad
01-29-2010, 04:11 PM
A bunch of us have one that they were selling at Pep Boys. Its a Good-Year 24vt cordless. Works awesome, variable speed and plenty of power. I want to say it was like $79? Not positive if they are still selling them there, but they were well worth it!

JIM GRACE
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by kfx450
I love my dewalt but I think it was over 200. It is the smaller version that uses quick connects. I will do almost everything wont take off a swingarm nut or the large axle nuts. This is very light and easy to work with though.

I have a bunch of dewalt power tools that are awesome
and looked at a lot of others but chose the dewalt

home depot has sales on these that you have to
watch out for. Money well spent

etondaddy
01-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Sorry about the bad quality..... batteries were dead......... imagine that....lol.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfK-5eTF4_0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfK-5eTF4_0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mike Kozura

LT80
01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I wore out 1 Millwaukee 3/8 drive..Still working on the 2nd.
I'll buy a 3rd when needed.

redonkulousruntsracing
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
LT80: what voltage Milwaukees ya been using? Do you think the new Lithium-ion 12V will work?

fastrnrik
01-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I have the Craftsman 19.2 volt 3/8" drive impact. I love it! Don't know what I'd do with out it. It does everything but crazy tight stuff. I would like to have a Dewalt 18 volt 1/2" drive impact for bigger stuff. Those things are stout. Milwaukee is excellent tool. I have their regular electric impact and it is great.

I would stay away from any Skil cordless tools. I've had several different of their cordless tools and thay all sucked. Just my $.02

hwf-racing
01-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Dewalt 1/2v 18 Drive for anything above 60lbs. It'll take the lugnuts off my F250 no problem. For plastic and putting the clutch and variator back on I use the Porter cable 12v nicad. Dewalt is about 250.oo and the Porter is 85.00 . Hope it heps

glntamu90
01-29-2010, 08:49 PM
I've used many cordless impacts but I have to say that the Northern Tool 1/2 in drive impact is by far the best value for the money. The batteries last forever, it feels good in your hand, and mine hasn't skipped a beat in 2 years of constant weekend use. By far my favorite tool to use.

Only problem with it is the small reverse switch which will wear after time if you abuse tools like I do, but Northern Tool will fix it if you bring it in to one of their service centers.

redonkulousruntsracing
01-29-2010, 08:55 PM
thanks guys for your help, I think I am going to look for somethink a little more stout that than that little M12 Milwaukee.
Any one ever use one?

Andyman17dad
01-30-2010, 08:05 AM
I also have the big DeWalt 1/2" cordless and even though I swear by all my DeWalt tools, this one isn't good for cvt clutches due to not having variable speed. It does have MORE than enough power and is great for wheels and stuff, but just too much for working on the clutches.

selbygirl
01-30-2010, 10:20 AM
check out makita btd 142hw i have the little white one it ways 2lbs and comes with a 3 year warinty i think it has 1.280 pounds of torq i have had it for two years and i almost use it every day im a trim carpenter cabnets handrails lag bolts a dewalt was lasting a around 6 months went thru 3 of them but dewalt makes the best saws and every one borrows it at the track the drill that is not the saws good luck research research

etondaddy
01-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I just looked at that m12 think your talking about at Home Depot......your not going to be happy with it..... it's only 1/4 drive.... not really it's a female 1/4 drive with means you have to use an adapter to make it 1/4 male drive to put a socket on it....your going to loose a ton of torque that way.....just my two cents. I won't get it. Save up and get one like mine no mater what brand.

Mike Kozura