PDA

View Full Version : Banshee not firing...

CRE Performance
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I dont work on many Banshee's, but I figure one of you guys may have ran across this issue once before and may have some insight.

Ive got one that I built the engine in, put it back in 1 year later, and now it doesnt fire.

The stator specs out correctly, and all wiring harness components have been checked and specd. After the initial check, I found that the factory CDI was faulty, so i replaced it with a Procom unit and I still have the same issue. After chekcing the CDI again, I concluded that the new ProCom unit was faulty as well, so I sent it back and got another. Now, with the newest unit, You can turn the ignition key off, kick it over about 5 kicks, then turn it on and kick it and it will fire 1 kick, but doesnt fire after that. I have checked the only ground that I know of on the bike and voltage drop checked it to be certain. I have also wired around both the kill switch and the key switch to take the them out of the picture. When it doesnt fire, I have no signal all the way back at the CDI going to the coil, but I have power going into it....so that tells me the CDI is still faulty.

Should I ask ProCom for another one (making this 3 of them) or am I barking up the wrong tree?

01-29-2010, 02:09 PM
The little connectors that slip onto the coal terminals, did you try crimping them onto the piece of the coil a little harder? They're little L shaped boots with a piece of metal, that slips onto the coil pieces to hook it up.

If they're loose and aren't nice and tight, they can short out. My banshee's was a hair loose and was making it run like crap. I crimped it a little harder so it's a nice strong connection and it got rid of the problem.

After that I would check the stator. When I got my banshee, it had the same problem with not getting spark. We went over the WHOLE electrical system and everything tested out fine, including the stator. Switched CDI's and same problem.

Turned out the stator was bad, even though it read correctly. Banshee stators are known to go bad, especially on older models.