PDA

View Full Version : sleds

SRH
01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
ive been thinking of getting a sled lately...id like to dabble in at least some snox riding..maybe racing....ive got minimal sled expirience...but i have logged some hrs.... id like to spend around3- 3500 tops....i was thinking a newer phazer or a rev 600, 500 ss...id like a 08 and newer nytro but there so $$$...

will the phazer be too slow?? i like the seating position on the rev and it felt to have decent power, arctic cat is uncfomrtable and a iq id have to do something with a seat for sure

also will a snox based sled be tippier? i ntoiced they generally have a narrower track, and being that i cant stand or move my weight thats a concern

400exrider707
01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SRH
ive been thinking of getting a sled lately...id like to dabble in at least some snox riding..maybe racing....ive got minimal sled expirience...but i have logged some hrs.... id like to spend around3- 3500 tops....i was thinking a newer phazer or a rev 600, 500 ss...id like a 08 and newer nytro but there so $$$...

will the phazer be too slow?? i like the seating position on the rev and it felt to have decent power, arctic cat is uncfomrtable and a iq id have to do something with a seat for sure

also will a snox based sled be tippier? i ntoiced they generally have a narrower track, and being that i cant stand or move my weight thats a concern

Bill, I have raced sno-x before, and it beat me up a lot worse than racing quad MX ever did. Not even close!

What Arctic cat was uncomfy? It sounds like you're comparing a few different generations of sleds here...

REV's will probably be the cheapest sled with the newer style "rider forward" seating position which you WILL want.

Sno-x sleds tend to sit a touch higher, but I dont seem to find them any tippier than most comparable sno-pro trail sleds. Not all the models have the skinny tracks.

Phazers are very underpowered. Yamaha had a terrible season when they sent factory riders out on those. It was kind of a joke.

SRH
01-29-2010, 10:25 AM
snow doesnt hurt as bad as dirt

450rdr424
01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
i would say a rev would prob be your best bet, being from your same area you can find them on craigslist all the time. the older 500ss is the same motor as the 600 and they are good running machines. if you can find a polaris 600rr they are nice too but they are hard to find.

400exrider707
01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by SRH
snow doesnt hurt as bad as dirt

It wasn't the falling off that hurts, just the physical racing part. The sled is heavier and harder to maneuver. Trust me, after I did my first race, I had trouble walking up stairs for a couple days. It literally hurt to move anything. It really took a beating on my legs.

I would like to try it again on a rider forward sled though like a rev.

SRH
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
bahhhh,doug henry cant stand either haha, he looks to be going pretty good, maybe on a whooped out snox track its bad same as mx ,im not concerned with that, more so with the body hitting the dirt

im leaning towards the rev more and more, what package has the better shocks, can you get the 500 ss with the x package?

Quad18star
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I'll say your best bet is a REV chassis sled. Yes you can get a 500 with the upgraded shocks .... all "X" package sleds will have the betetr shocks since they were "snow checked" from Ski-Doo ( ie ordered) in the spring time.

My buddy has a Nitro ... 1050 four stroke. I rode it last weekend and I high sided it very easily even at a slow speed. It took quite a bit of body movement to keep it from rolling over.

The Cat 440 chassis is nice ... as long as you go into their snow-x design.

I'd still stick with ski-doo though.

If you can find a 2007 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 X-RS , you'll love it. It's the 440 race chassis with the reliability of a 600 cc engine stuffed into it and it has reverse . It has all the race shocks but is made for aggressive trail riding.

400exrider707
01-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Bill if you're getting it just to race, then just buy a race sled, they can usually be had pretty cheap.

The 600RS sleds are VERY nice.

Quad18star
01-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Here's a few forums you may want to check out to get some great information about sleds.

dootalk.com has all the information you need about ski-doo sleds
hardcoresledder.com as all sorts of info. for all makes and different riding areas.

BTW ... a 500ss sled is basically a 600 cc. It's like 597 cc or something like that.

For your case, I would suggest something with reverse and maybe e-start.

SRH
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Here's a few forums you may want to check out to get some great information about sleds.

dootalk.com has all the information you need about ski-doo sleds
hardcoresledder.com as all sorts of info. for all makes and different riding areas.

BTW ... a 500ss sled is basically a 600 cc. It's like 597 cc or something like that.

For your case, I would suggest something with reverse and maybe e-start.

yeah i def need reverse, i can pull start but electric would be nice, i really want to avoid a full on snox sled for the fact i would like to trail ride, im really leaning towards a rev, btw thanks for the links greg

400exrider707
01-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SRH
yeah i def need reverse, i can pull start but electric would be nice, i really want to avoid a full on snox sled for the fact i would like to trail ride, im really leaning towards a rev, btw thanks for the links greg

Well what do you plan on doing more, trail riding or sno-x? IT's a little different than quads man.

Greg and I used to run sno-x sleds all the time on the trails. I'd still go that route, maybe just get the larger tank and have it setup for pump gas. Then it'd make a really nice trail sled too.

SRH
01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
the only reason ive been shying away from a full on sno x sled is ive had minimal expirience with them, my cousin had a proxr 440..riding position wasnt designed for sitting of any sort and it was way more tippy than the zr 500 he had

Quad18star
01-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by SRH
the only reason ive been shying away from a full on sno x sled is ive had minimal expirience with them, my cousin had a proxr 440..riding position wasnt designed for sitting of any sort and it was way more tippy than the zr 500 he had

Yeah that's the "Old" style riding position ... the new one from polaris is rider forward on the IQ chassis.

I think you'd be well off on a 500ss like you were looking at. If you can , try and go out to a demo days event and have a feel for the sleds.

You might like the feel of the new Arctic Cats ... they have the infinite rider positioning .. means the bars are adjustable and so is the seat. My uncle has the F8 sno pro ... the only downfall is it feels heavy on the front so if you get off the trail and into powder , you're going to have to really muscle it .

You can find a NICE used sled for a decent price these days. Say something like an 06 or 07 Doo ... the Rev chassis ... for about 3500-5500.

SRH
01-29-2010, 09:43 PM
ill have to looking into some of the arctic cats, they have way lower resale in my area, the zr i had ridden was a 02, and without my legs somewhat under me it was hard to keep my body where i wanted it, along witht he cushiony seat i kept slouching to one side ive seen a few 06-07 sno pros fro 2500-3000

400exrider707
01-30-2010, 12:37 PM
How much are you looking to spend? Bill, you should come up to the lake with me sometime during the week or something and try out Gregs REV chassis 800 and see how you like it. I think that would be the best compromise for getting that rider forward position (which is much easier on your body) and still feel comfortable like the old sleds.

You're not going to get into a new style arctic cat chassis for 2500-3000, it's just not happening, they're $9k+ new...

the 06/07 are not the new style with the infinite rider position.

Like I said they're not like the quads, the chassis' are changing so much and so rapidly that when a new chassis comes out everything before it is now outdated and vintage.

SRH
01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
johns got his rev, next time hes got it out im going to ride it a bit

400exrider707
01-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by SRH
johns got his rev, next time hes got it out im going to ride it a bit

That's right, I completely forgot about that. The 600SDI motor is a very good motor to get your hands on, very fuel economy friendly!

Quad18star
01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
That's right, I completely forgot about that. The 600SDI motor is a very good motor to get your hands on, very fuel economy friendly!

And reliable . The 600 is one of the best motors ever built.

400exrider707
01-30-2010, 11:11 PM
And reliable . The 600 is one of the best motors ever built.

except for the e-tek motors. The 800 E-tek is also coming out this year...

Quad18star
01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
except for the e-tek motors. The 800 E-tek is also coming out this year...

Ya .. except it'll be hard finding an e-tec for under $4000 right now . Still too new .

WhiteZrider
02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I love my arctic cat! Just has a pipe.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/Picture277.jpg

My dad has a rev and it deff rides better than the arctic cat. Get which ever you like the most.

WhiteZrider
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/Picture293.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/Picture310.jpg

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Tell your dad to get the beavertail delete kit for his Rev.

I'm going to check out a 2009 Ski-Doo 600 RS tomorrow afternoon . It's been trail converted and should ahve the high comp heads to go along with it. Might come home with a new sled tomorrow :D

400exrider707
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Tell your dad to get the beavertail delete kit for his Rev.

Haha you read my mind, got those beavertails are ugly!

I'm going to check out a 2009 Ski-Doo 600 RS tomorrow afternoon . It's been trail converted and should ahve the high comp heads to go along with it. Might come home with a new sled tomorrow :D

Sweet sleds! My old room-mate bought an 07 RS last year, it was a fun sled to ride for sure!

SRH
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
these winters suck i been bouncing the idea back and forth and not sure of my best plan....if we had consistent winters id be riding a rev right now decisions decisions..., ive been debating just getting a older mxz or zr and riding it and seeing how things go....i could move into getting a can am renegade 500 if i decided not to go with a newer sled rigth now:scary:

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Billy ... I'm telling you ... if you go with the old style riding position you're gunna get discouraged and very fatigued riding.

Before you go and buy anything older than a 2003 ... try the new riding positions ( rider forward) then try the old school style ... it's night and day. It'll change your views on sledding. When you buy one ... come north .. we'll go riding.

400exrider707
02-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Billy ... I'm telling you ... if you go with the old style riding position you're gunna get discouraged and very fatigued riding.

Before you go and buy anything older than a 2003 ... try the new riding positions ( rider forward) then try the old school style ... it's night and day. It'll change your views on sledding. When you buy one ... come north .. we'll go riding.

He's right Bill, sleds are advancing 10x faster in chassis design than quads.

SRH
02-01-2010, 10:40 PM
your right, i wish wed get some damn snow so i could get out on my cousins rev

400exrider707
02-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by SRH
your right, i wish wed get some damn snow so i could get out on my cousins rev

From what I hear, the lake is glare ice! I wouldn't go out if it isn't studded though. I might venture up that way this weekend. There is also vintage snowmobile racing this coming saturday on echo lake up in warrensburgh.