PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a 12 tooth front sprocket?

Saul76
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Besides probably chewing up the chain buffer/slider - are they actually hard on the tranny?

Honda 250r 001
01-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Ive never heard of em bein hard on the tranny, but they do make your chain wear faster because each chain link has to pivot more as it goes around the sprocket.

Hope this helps
Thanks

01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Damn that's a small sprocket. Give us some more details. Why are you thinking you might want to run a 12 tooth sprocket?

honda350r
01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Saul76
Besides probably chewing up the chain buffer/slider - are they actually hard on the tranny?

I would not run a 12 ! If you do, get ready to buy a left case ...

If you need to gear it down ,go up on the rear..

MOVIN32
01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
tt racers ran them all the time great hole shot

86honda250
01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
We have ran 12 for years on 250. Just recently with big bores we have started to run 13. Harder on chain sprokets and the chain slide. Never replaced tranny parts or left case.

Honda5
01-29-2010, 04:29 AM
I have one I never put on. I was going to try it on a tt track but never got the chance. what would be the problem with the left case 1/2?

Saul76
01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Honda5
I have one I never put on. I was going to try it on a tt track but never got the chance. what would be the problem with the left case 1/2?

I'm guessing fear of throwing a chain with a smaller sprocket?

But yeah, the reason why I wanna drop down to a 12, for now, is just to gain more usable low end snap. If anyone has seen any of my youtube videos you can see clearly our trails are not somewhere a person can make use of 14/38 gearing.

I can rarely get out of 3rd. So I've been thinking that a nice shorter gearing would really let me stay in the powerband more often. With more usable power on tap when needed.

I have a 12 kicking around and will throw it on to see if it does make the difference that I hope. If so, I'll probably then put the 14 back on and order a bigger rear sprocket to give me the same gearing. (a 42 in back and 14 up front, I think, would put me about the same as a 12 in front and 38 in back?)

MossboysRacing
01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
I race XC and i ran a 12 for years. They might wear a little faster, Just make sure you keep your chain adjusted correctly. This only reason i swithched to a 13 this year is Im now running a esr 310.

troybilt
01-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I run a 12-38 now, but will be switching to 13-39. It was just a little too low, made 1st seem a bit useless but it is nice in the really tight stuff... I think going 1 up on the rear sprocket would be just right.

RyanWsly
01-29-2010, 03:07 PM
13-39, always ran that, only time it ever has trouble is plowing trees over.

DEERCHOOPER
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
from what i heard.

for 1 tooth down on the front, you would need to go up 3 in the back to equal the same gearing.

so a 12/38 would be the same as 13/41

troybilt
01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
12/38 = 13/x and solve for x i.e. x = (13*38)/12 = ~41

But yes you are correct... ;)

jcs003
01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
stock gearing is the best.(IMO) compensate in tire size and selection.

01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by jcs003

No offense, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Compensate with tire size?

You choose your tire type and size based on the type of riding you do. Then you fine tune your gearing from there.

I race mx. In mx, you run 18" rear tires. Period. Stock gearing would work terrible.

jcs003
01-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by 8686
No offense, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Compensate with tire size?

You choose your tire type and size based on the type of riding you do. Then you fine tune your gearing from there.

I race mx. In mx, you run 18" rear tires. Period. Stock gearing would work terrible.

watch your words. and read the post. the stock gearing is JUST fine. in XC most run 20-22" rears. on motoX people are running 18-19" rears. the "compensation" is based on tire size.

01-29-2010, 08:01 PM

Excuse me? I read the post. In fact, I quoted it again. You said "stock gearing is the best". It is not the best. Stop being dumb.

Saul76
01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Stock gearing on almost any bike is a compromise by the factory to please as many riders as possible. It is certainly not the 'best' gearing - because - how do you really define 'best' in terms of gearing.

All of us ride different styles, different terrain and different engine builds. To say a person should keep stock gearing and compensate with 'tire size' seems a lil 'off' to me.

Anyways, thanks guys - good to know there are people out there running a 12 up front. I'm gunna shorten my chain tomorrow and heave my 12 on there and see how it feels. Very good to hear your results Troy Bilt.

Peace guys!

jcs003
01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Excuse me? I read the post. In fact, I quoted it again. You said "stock gearing is the best". It is not the best. Stop being dumb.

ok. genius. tell us all what is the ideal gearing. despite different application. maybe the transmission ratios are errored from the factory. i guess i will use a 15 tooth front and a 37 rear with 22" rear tires and race in an XC race...:rolleyes:

01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Wow. I can't believe I even respond to this stuff.

The ideal gearing depends on so many different things.

The exact same quad might even use different gearing from one track (whether it's mx, tt, xc, drag, etc) to the other.

There is no "ideal" gearing!

Again...wow.:huh

jcs003
01-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow. I can't believe I even respond to this stuff.

The ideal gearing depends on so many different things.

The exact same quad might even use different gearing from one track (whether it's mx, tt, xc, drag, etc) to the other.

There is no "ideal" gearing!

Again...wow.:huh

i guess the engineers at honda did not have an ideal ratio in mind:rolleyes: they should of consulted you. i will no longer dispute this with you. this is an argumant that is above your experience and education.

first, fimiliarize yourself with the definition of "ideal"

01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
i guess the engineers at honda did not have an ideal ratio in mind:rolleyes: they should of consulted you. i will no longer dispute this with you. this is an argumant that is above your experience and education.

HEY DUMB ****! Have you altered your 250R in any way other than completely stock?! Of course you ****ing have!

But uh oh! Why the **** would you do that?! They engineers at Honda had everything right when they made the 250R. Why would you change it? Their 100lb boat anchor silencer was perfect! We shouldn't change that. Don't ever take the intake snorkel out or take the airbox lid off. The engineers put them their for a reason. They are "the best".

I swear every time I come on these forums I see another stupid post. You've given us like five stupid posts in this thread alone.

YOU ARE A DUMB ***!

Saul76
01-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Dude, get over yourself already. The factories gear these ATV's so that they will 'work' in many enviroments and/or situations. This does not make them 'ideal' to a specific application - IE: me on tight trails. A tall gear ratio is not 'ideal' - at all.

The 'ideal' gear ratio for ANY ATV is the gear ratio that suits yourself and your own riding terrain/situation & engine build. NOT a compromised gear ratio given to you by the factory to 'work' in a variety of situations.

If I wanted to squeeze every last MPH out of a machine possible on top end - stock gearing won't allow me to do it. A taller tire might net a couple more MPH - but obviously you wanna run the tallest gearing your motor will turn.

It's not rocket science & I fail to see why you've copped such an attitude about this?

jcs003
01-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Dude, get over yourself already. The factories gear these ATV's so that they will 'work' in many enviroments and/or situations. This does not make them 'ideal' to a specific application - IE: me on tight trails. A tall gear ratio is not 'ideal' - at all.

The 'ideal' gear ratio for ANY ATV is the gear ratio that suits yourself and your own riding terrain/situation & engine build. NOT a compromised gear ratio given to you by the factory to 'work' in a variety of situations.

If I wanted to squeeze every last MPH out of a machine possible on top end - stock gearing won't allow me to do it. A taller tire might net a couple more MPH - but obviously you wanna run the tallest gearing your motor will turn.

It's not rocket science & I fail to see why you've copped such an attitude about this?

didnt you call me dumb??? i specifically wrote, many threads ago, "(IMO)". this means in my opinion.

ideal means: One that is regarded as a standard or model of perfection or excellence. i.e. what is best for the condition at hand and is functional in many applications.

01-30-2010, 07:56 AM
No, I was the one who called you dumb.

jcs003
01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
No, I was the one who called you dumb.

lol. some people will never understand.

Saul76
01-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Anyways - all arguing and BS aside - I got the 12 tooth on this evening and got about 20 minutes of seat time.

Wow - so easy to keep her in the powerband now. So much more low end grunt and doesn't feel like I've lost too much top end either.

This setup is much more ideal to me and my situation. :D

honda350r
01-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I hope everything works out for you. If you have a chain problem in the near future I hope you let people know ...

I never recommend this set up to anyone !

Good luck

86 Quad R
01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
my personal all time fave is a 14/42 for the average smaller 250's when riding woods/trails. although, i have my personal quad setup to run the 14/37-38 with 18-20" tires.

be very particular about your chains tension and condition when running the smaller 12/13 front as if it ever jumps your subceptible to a bottom feed tween the swinger and sprocket.

woodsracer144
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Anyways - all arguing and BS aside - I got the 12 tooth on this evening and got about 20 minutes of seat time.

Wow - so easy to keep her in the powerband now. So much more low end grunt and doesn't feel like I've lost too much top end either.

This setup is much more ideal to me and my situation. :D

is this on your trike? dont you have to shift all the time now? and arnt your gears really short?

Saul76
01-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
I hope everything works out for you. If you have a chain problem in the near future I hope you let people know ...

I never recommend this set up to anyone !

Good luck

If I develop a chain problem while running this setup I would post it up right away, yes.

I only plan on running the 12 up front until I can get a 40 and a 42 for the rear to experiment between with a 14 upfront.

Saul76
01-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
is this on your trike? dont you have to shift all the time now? and arnt your gears really short?

No, this is on my 86 TRX.

The gears on the trike, though, aren't awfully short. It's a 5 speed however.

I'll be honest, I enjoy shifting a bunch while riding. Now with the 12 on front on the TRX though I actually shift less on tight trails but more when I get some openings.

I have lost quite some top end. It's hard to say how much and I can still get up to good speed but I can get into 6th on a couple roads I couldn't before.

woodsracer144
01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
i think i have a 40 or 41 or a 42... ithink the 42 is for a ATC though...

01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
If you're running a 14/38 right now, maybe you could try a 13/39? That would give you a little more snap without as much chain wear and danger of damaging your case as a 12 tooth front sprocket.

250R_SV
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I just repaired my R after having it sitting for a while. I didnt have original sprocket 13/38T so I installed 12/39T conbination I had, and it fills fine, thought shorter shifting .

Saul76
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
mine feels great with the 12/38 - I think 12/39 would be a little too short.

I fully expect to go back to a 14 up front soon though while also going much bigger in the back - I'll probably buy a 40/41 & a 42 and experiment.

Lots of videos up on my youtube account.

That said, 'haters' and 'youtube pro quad riders' who sit home and don't ride their quads but think it's cool to 'hate' on someone who posts riding videos almost daily but isn't always 'pinned in 6th gear' all the time need not bother to watch thank you very much. :D

Saul76
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TL250R
Where can you buy a 42t rear? Every place lists them for 81-84 ATC and not TRX

http://sidewindersprockets.com/custom.html

Saul76
02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
and ebay.