PDA

View Full Version : Best motor mods to do first?

camarodean1969
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
My son has a 2008 DRR Liquid cooled 90. I have made no mods yet. He is getting to the piont of wanting a little more juice. What would be the first and mabey inexpensive (lol) mod i would do first. I was thinking of shaving the head to increase compression, i run high octane anyway in it. All the replys i thank you for Dean!

jerkyboy
01-28-2010, 08:19 PM
suspension suspension suspension

travis rimmer
01-28-2010, 08:38 PM
he said inexpensive nothing cheap about shocks upgrade your rollers spring and clutch she'll preform alot better

Hetrick Racing
01-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Not to be rude but I agree with suspension. Some small changes to the clutch and gearing the stock suspension will handle though

THARNESS
01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I agree with the suspension being the first mod.Too much motor on stock shocks requires a really good helmet.

About the motor mods... Be careful when trying to do a small mod here or there in an attempt to save money. Most mods require an additional mod to work properly. For example, a pipe mod will most likely require a clutch and or carb mod to work right. You can spend alot of money and actually go backwards in performance because something else is now out of wack. When I tell u this i speak from experience.
You will be way ahead to buy a performance package from someone who has done all of the r&d and taken the guess work out of it. Go to the Hetrick Racing website and look at thier power-up kits. They will have different levels of pkgs to choose from.

Good luck and God Bless.

bulldogfallon
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Suspension definately helps the riders use the power that have better so it is always a good choice for performance and safety.

On the DRX90 we have had good success with porting the cylinder/head...the stock pipe is actually good.

This would be my first choice and one that will make a noticeable difference but not require an extreme budget.

With the power change tweaking the CVT set up (spring/Rollers) will help get optimum performance to the back wheels.

Good luck and keep us posted

selbygirl
01-30-2010, 08:38 AM
suspension and and frame gussets check that frame under the seat the more power the more air youre going to get and a good axel my boy has a 70 at 7 yrs old broke the frame in 3 spots and a axel think safty before speed . check your frame i think ther is a right up on this forum about it . seeya tommy

machwon
01-30-2010, 04:46 PM
ditto the high comp head and clutching, add porting if you can. Holeshots mean alot and power/clutching really helps and it's cheaper. If he get's donkey kicked from ridding hard, then fix the suspension.

travis rimmer
01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
of coarse the first mod should be shocks but he didnt say anything about jumping just wanted more juice just my two cents:rolleyes:

marsrace2
01-30-2010, 08:21 PM
what he said, since you asked about motor that is where I will go. Hands down the easiest mod and most Bang for the Buck would be a Trackside Performance Pipe. You will have to adjust your jetting and clutching as with any other pipe but this will be your biggest gain with the least work.

camarodean1969
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the info! I am keeping my eye out for a set of elkas. And am trying to save up for them too (LOL). I have pm'ed a couple of places to try to get some hard part #s and cost.

number12
02-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Some Chris Grissom head work will help a lot. A PVL ignition really seemed to help mine too.