PDA

View Full Version : Any lab trainers on here?

bad450r08
01-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I need some help with training my new lab puppy. She is a good dog but she chews on anything she gets ahold of ive got her the chew toys but she doesnt like them. I play fetch with her everday and she does really good. She also want stop peeing on the porch is their anything i can do to get her to stop?

spdygonzalez450
01-28-2010, 05:30 PM
im not a trainer but when my lab was a puppy i just made sure that just about every hour or so i took her outside to where i wanted her to go to the bathroom and waited till she went, than reward with some praise. about the chewing thing labs are very "mouthy" what i did was every time she took something she was not suppose to have i would try to quickly replace it with something she can chew on. I had lots of toys around and i would scold her for chewing on stuff she was not suppose to chew on. I took her to a class as well and the teacher told me to get an aluminum can, crush it with a few rocks in it( so it makes a noise) and when the dog starts chewing on something you throw it at her direction to scare her. while i never did that, i do know people who have and it did work. the puppy training classes are pretty worth while.

Pappy
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
She is more then likely teething

When she starts to chew on something that she shouldnt, tell her "NO" and give her a chewy or toy

Quad18star
01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Labs love to chew .. especially when they're pups. Like pappy said , she's probably teething... but be aware .. I'll guarantee that one day you'll leave the house with the dog inside and come home to something chewed apart. I've lost shoes , comforter sets and countless pillows. All part of owning a dog.

If she's peeing in the same spot , it's because she has marked it and is used to peeing there. Wash the area with some javex to get rid of the smell. Also as someone else mentioned, you have to take the dog out often ... every 30 minutes or hour... even at 3am. Your best bet when training is to buy a crate . Most of the time a dog will not pee in their crate because it is a "home" to them. As ours was getting older , we'd just leave the door on the crate open and he'd sleep in it at night.

bad450r08
01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Well im at school till 12 so i cant take her out then but she is doing good with peeing inside except when she does pee inside she goes right to the crate and pees their. Should she steel be teething because she is 15 weeks old?

rundrave
01-29-2010, 06:48 AM
a puppy can hold its bladder for 1 hour for every month old it is

example its its 1 month old it cant hold it more than an hour, etc etc

you just got to give it time and praise, praise and praise some more when it goes outside.

also if your puppy is going to the bathroom in the kennel, your kennel is too big. make it smaller with a divider, or just get a smaller kennel. its should only be big enough for it to spin around.

Pappy
01-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by rundrave

also if your puppy is going to the bathroom in the kennel, your kennel is too big. make it smaller with a divider, or just get a smaller kennel. its should only be big enough for it to spin around.

Exactly^

And yes, teething at 15 weeks is about right. Mine is 22 weeks or so now and just finished getting his adult teeth in.

bad450r08
01-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Well the kental is the medium size one its almost too small for her. when she stands up her back touchs. But she has only peed in it 2 times and right when i let her out the house she pees but on the porch so she can come back in. I guess im gunna try walking her to were i want her to pee when i let her out and give her a treat or reward her and see if that works.

extremeblastr
01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by bad450r08
Well the kental is the medium size one its almost too small for her. when she stands up her back touchs. But she has only peed in it 2 times and right when i let her out the house she pees but on the porch so she can come back in. I guess im gunna try walking her to were i want her to pee when i let her out and give her a treat or reward her and see if that works.

carry her there, i'm having the same issue with my rhodesian ridgeback puppy but he does it because its cold outside and he's a little wuss lol but if you carry her to the middle of the yard or as far away from the door as you like she'll get the idea that you don't want her peeing on the porch. and on the occasions she peed in the crate had she been in there for a long time (4+ hours) and when was the last time she was brought out before being crated.

bad450r08
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Well she wasnt in the crate but we got her to stop peeing in the house and when i tell her to go outside and pee i have to chase her cause she wants to run to the crate to pee in haha. But the other time was at night because i lock her in it so she cant rome the house.

Quad18star
01-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Good suggestions from everyone. Make the crate just big enough for her to turn around in , carry her to where she's allowed to pee , and teething wiill continue for a few more weeks.... and even after that , they still love to chew and file down her teeth a bit.

John Noftsinger
01-29-2010, 06:33 PM
best thing you guys can do is get training book on that exact dog ,my boss did it and his dog does all commands/tricks it an awesome dog to what he use to be.

Pappy
01-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Not just books, but there are alot of forums for Labs ...hunting and non hunting. Tons of great ideas , reading and help!

Get them started young the right way, alot of work but it sure makes for one great dog!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery/DSC3262/750010599_jD4Q3-O.jpg

I've had alot of dogs in my lifetime...and I swear, Labs are more like people then any breed I have had.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery/DSC3310/750051034_hyr6Q-O.jpg

Quad18star
01-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

I've had alot of dogs in my lifetime...and I swear, Labs are more like people then any breed I have had.

Ain't that the truth. I swear my dog was human in his past life ... or someone I knew in my previous life. His character is that of a person ... he'll look at me soemtimes and I can just picture what he's thinking . If only dogs could speak !!!

bad450r08
01-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for everybodys help. Hopefully she will start improving soon.