PDA

View Full Version : Honing a Nikasil Cylinder

KingpinsEx
01-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Freshening up the top end of my LTR and was curious about honing the cylinder. It's stock and plated with nikasil. Its up to spec as far as tolerances goes, but figure it needs honed to seat the new rings. I have heard not to use a ball hone, but can I get away with using a 3-point stone hone from the parts store? Any input...

Colby@C&DRacing
01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Yes you can use the stone type hone. Just be careful and use plenty of oil. Remember you just want to scratch the coating not remove any material

KingpinsEx
01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Colby, do you have any experience using this type of hone? I have heard from many people that nikasil needs a "special" hone, not sure what that means though, possibly a diamond hone?. I figured a ball hone doesn't work very well, but the stone type seems like it should work. I just want to be sure, don't want to mess up my cylinder, thanks.

KingpinsEx
01-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Has anyone used a stone type hone from an auto parts store on a nikasil cylinder with good results? :confused:

speedfreek
01-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
I have heard from many people that nikasil needs a "special" hone, not sure what that means though, possibly a diamond hone?. I just want to be sure, don't want to mess up my cylinder, thanks. I have read also that a nikasil cylinder needs a special hone.

Better look this up.

rt20ps
02-02-2010, 01:43 PM
The proper way to deglaze a used cylinder is with a flex-hone or brush hone. Wiseco sells them in a few different sizes. Replaters like US Chrome and Millenium use diamond hones on freshly plated cylinders but they are not necessary and too expensive for the average mechanic.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Sorry I missed the question. You only use a diamond hone if you are trying to remove material like a plater would to fit a piston in a fresh replate. The stone hone you are talking about works great we use it all the time

xcracer416
02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
colby just another question. being an a mechanic ive used a hone many times but not on a plated cylinder. what type of lubricant would you recomend to use with the hone?

ive used wd40 on non plated steel sleeved cylinders all the way to automatic transmission fluid.

thought this question might help the average joe so they dont remove much material on their coating with the wrong lubricant.

rt20ps
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I am not trying to disagree with C&D as I know he is a professional and so am I. We all have our own methods. I use Dawn dish soap and hot water with my flex-hone brushes. The plating comes out looking like new.

Big Jay
02-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Glaze breaking for new rings can be done with stones. Diamonds if you are trying to change size.

Jay

KingpinsEx
02-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Jay, this is true even on nikasil correct?

Colby@C&DRacing
02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
We just use motor oil for lube. Always wash the cylinder after deglazing.