PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever race the Pikes Peak Hill Climb?

Ichoptop
01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I have been going to this race since I was a kid. My dad worked with Chrysler building motors and suspensions for some of the factory cars in the late 70's. I'll be 40 in 2011 which would give me a year and half to get my TRX450R ready to run it. Any tips or hints would be a great help.

in case you dont know, it's a brutal race.

from the offical website:
"The race is run on a 12.42 mile course with 156 turns that begins at 9,390 feet and finishes at the 14,110 foot summit of America’s Mountain; Pikes Peak! As the drivers climb toward the summit, the thin air slows reflexes and saps muscle strength. The thin air also robs engines of 30% of their power at the summit. Competitors and vehicles must be in top shape simply to finish...let alone win!"
http://www.ppihc.com/ppihcftp/PPIHC2008smaller.jpg

heres a you tube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsx4b7Nszg

reptikes
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Fuel Injection would defiantly help with losing crucial power!

honda350r
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
Fuel Injection would defiantly help with losing crucial power!

Actually it wont help power loss! FI will just make the engine run better with no air. The power loss will be the same with FI or a carb .

A supercharger or turbo would help the power loss!

honda350r
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
I have been going to this race since I was a kid. My dad worked with Chrysler building motors and suspensions for some of the factory cars in the late 70's. I'll be 40 in 2011 which would give me a year and half to get my TRX450R ready to run it. Any tips or hints would be a great help.

in case you dont know, it's a brutal race.

from the offical website:
"The race is run on a 12.42 mile course with 156 turns that begins at 9,390 feet and finishes at the 14,110 foot summit of America’s Mountain; Pikes Peak! As the drivers climb toward the summit, the thin air slows reflexes and saps muscle strength. The thin air also robs engines of 30% of their power at the summit. Competitors and vehicles must be in top shape simply to finish...let alone win!"
http://www.ppihc.com/ppihcftp/PPIHC2008smaller.jpg

heres a you tube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsx4b7Nszg

Sounds like a heck of a goal. Good luck.

dns1764
01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
i would bring a chang of shorts cause i would s**t my pants going around the hairpins with the huge dropoffs

duke416ex
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
There was a guy on org that ran it a couple of years ago. I have a goal to hopefully do this one day as well, but I have a few more years to go. Is it all ran from start to finish or is there stages that you run?

Scro
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I believe you practice different sections at different times, but you race the complete course.

300ex mxracer
01-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I drove a truck up it a while back. I think it would be a blast to race

liex21
01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
good luck man thats my dream to run a race a pikes peak and a baja

bens250ex
01-30-2010, 04:58 PM
anyone know how much it cost to run this race??? i would love to do it.

Troy31
01-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
[B]I have been going to this race since I was a kid. My dad worked with Chrysler building motors and suspensions for some of the factory cars in the late 70's. I'll be 40 in 2011 which would give me a year and half to get my TRX450R ready to run it. Any tips or hints would be a great help.

Do you want to be competitive or just race for the experience of it? If you want to be competitive throw as much money at your quad as you can for hp and lightweight parts. Entry fee is $400 if you get it in early and goes up to $1000 the month before the race. If your from out of state plan on being in colorado for a week so that will add up quick.

I've raced it the past 2 years. First year I had a strong motor and a terrible rider and finished 4th. Last year had a hurt motor and a better rider and finished 3rd. This year I should have a stronger motor, lighter quad and hopefully a better rider..... gonna let it all hang out and see what happens.

Ichoptop
01-31-2010, 09:02 AM
I dont care so much for winning. Completion is good enough for me. I am also in Denver and I have family down around Colorado Springs that I can park the trailer at and crash with.

If you dont mind me asking, what were your times?

I have some suspension and tire questions. Would you be willing to throw some of your knowledge my way on what has worked and what doesnt?

ZSNOW
01-31-2010, 01:05 PM
id love to run this on a slammed LTR or a boondocker turbo LTR.. and id like to try BAJA too. baja is my life goal hahaha

TRXman86
02-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Me and my family used to go up and down it all the time. Dad was at Ft. Carson and we went up to go sleddin alot. Good times! It's a long drive when your just site seeing... Well worth it for the view. I'd get to caught up in that then racing LOL

416exfreak
02-01-2010, 08:31 AM
That would be such an adrenaline rush!

Racing Pike's Peak is one of my lifes goals, along with the Baja 500 (possibly the 1000).

Rouding those corners at 60-70mph would be incredible.. and somewhat frightening. I'd have to be on a steady diet of Redbull and cheez-its.. my pre-race fuel of choice!!:blah: