PDA

View Full Version : GPX 160cc Engine is it a dependable motor

granth88
01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a 2001 90. It is just a play toy and I am looking for little more out of the engine. I have been looking at the 114cc big bore kits and I found the GPX motors for sale online and was just wondering if they are a waste of money. I can get a motor for what a big bore kit cost. If so what is a good big bore kit to buy

buildinitnow
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Dude I was looking at those as well but then ruled them out. Those include the oil cooler and its says on a couple sites that its like a 1/2 larger than the 90 motor or something. I'm going to give the 125 a try because I've done the following math:

Stock trx90 hp: 4.89hp
125 Pirahna: 9-11hp
140 gyx(sp): 10-12hp

That is at least DOUBLE the hp stock because of the auto-shift tranny and such. I'm going to try it but its going to be a couple of weeks until I have a full writeup. That is unless I find some more information on here from someone else. Please tell us guys!!!!

Casper21
08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by granth88
I have a 2001 90. It is just a play toy and I am looking for little more out of the engine. I have been looking at the 114cc big bore kits and I found the GPX motors for sale online and was just wondering if they are a waste of money. I can get a motor for what a big bore kit cost. If so what is a good big bore kit to buy

I don't know if you bought a motor or big bore kit. But I have had two GPX 160cc motors and LOVED them. Fast and lots of torque. I put one in my X18 mid bike and it ripped the sprocket right out of the rim. Very cheap rims, but still, pulled all 5 bolts right out. Now I have one in my Orion pit bike and the thing is crazy. And i will be buying another one to put in the SSR 125R quad I am buying. That hing should rip. Also,make sure you have good exhaust. My x18 sounded just like a Ducati. good luck

Conant19
08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
before you buy go to fire power minis . com he builts the fastest pit bike motors i have road if you want he can do you up a 212 that will hang with a 250f big bike