PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an 07 outlaw 525 irs.. got questions about some issues

stonesuperman
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Just picked up a very slightly used 07 outlaw 525. had recalls done and first service done.. valves have not been checked yet.. i do have some concerns though

1. Cant find neutral when warm. almost impossible from first or second.
2. clutch lever releases too early. (is it adjustable)
3. stalls way to easy when taking off i'm pretty sure its stock gearing
4. off idle hard throttle will almost kill the bike.. have to ease into it

Other than those this thing rips.. its all stock without the spark arrester.. i was hoping it would be as smooth on the trails as my 500 scrambler and lol, it makes my scrammy feel like a brick.. this thing floats over the rough stuff its great.. any way i can clear up these issues??

birdman7389
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
1. It is touchy, you will get used to it
2. Try bleeding it, and yes there is an adjuster on teh lever, the little red knob.
3. The idle may be set too low, they like to idle way higher than you would imagine.
4. Jetting, no doubt. They are jetted like garbage. Get a JD jetting kit

:D

sleddog66
01-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Point 1,2,&3 could all be linked to clutch lever adjust. As stated above, it is the red turn knob on clutch lever.

Points 3 & 4 could be related to jetting.

They do have kinda a high first gear. Get everything adjusted correctly, get used to it, and you can take off with zero throttle.:D

coalrat
01-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I 2nd sleddogs reply, also you should be sure your engine has the correct and amount of oil in it.

You say clutch is ingaging to early, Is it trying to surge forward with it pulled all the way in?

Valves are easy, you should get a manual though. I have saw lots of online instructions on how to do it.

stonesuperman
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
thanks guys.. just ordered a jd kit and will look up how to adjust the red knob and check proper oil level tonight. i just read that too much oil and it will run hot and shift hard and that was my main problems.. at 35 degrees the fan was on quite often , and yes it does surge more than my other bikes when put into gear and the clutch is fully in.

gen3usa
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
just picked one up myself, all my buddies have the 500 and couple of us have the 525, one thing the 525 guys have done with the hard to find neutral is run your oil level at the bottom of the glass, not half way like they come, this issue goes away. if your machine is stock, the JD kit may not be your best way to go yet, the come jacked from the factory, change your jet size one up from stock and you may find things get much better. congrats, these things do ripe, i have a 500 scrammy and a 400 built for the dunes and the 525 is incredible.

stonesuperman
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
gonna drain some oil to bottom of glass and ride her tomorrow.. 12 degrees right now.. i can't seem to figure out this clutch adjustment knob.. i got no manuals what so ever.. any hints??

gen3usa
01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
the red knob adjusts the hydraulic cylinder, this will adjust the engagement point of the clutch, work with 1/2 turn increments, if the clutch is engaging better with each turn then you can dial it in to what feels right.

stonesuperman
02-03-2010, 07:41 PM
installed my JD jet kit today and just went ahead and just went along with the instructions.

pilot-stock
main-165
needle-blue 3rd clip
fuel screw- 1-1/8 out
temperature- 35 degrees
elevation- 900 ft
small O-ring installed
baffle removed the rest is stock and airbox lid on.

runs MUCH smoother, less jumpy and gobs more power. from reading other posts it could be running rich but i love how smoothe it is now, no dead spots. still seems to be running hot even in this 35 degree weather. and on the bottom at idle when i hit the throttle it stays reved for a few seconds after i release the throttle..
On another note, my problems with the clutch lever is more involved. i can pump the clutch lever about 30 times and get to start working but i start loosing pressure during riding to the point where i have NO clutch what so ever.. thats why i can't find neutral. not sure yet if its a leak or was just empty when i purchased it.. if anyone has some more advice for me that would be great.. thanks

dcc1089
02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
As far as yout clutch, have you tried bleeding it properly? If it was empty from the dealer, there is air in it for sure....

stonesuperman
02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
will refill and bleed it tomorrow and check for leaks.. anyone have any info on the staying revved for a couple seconds after i let off the throttle?

SSJEFF
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
165 is rich. I would invest in having it dyno tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. that will help a lot. The Keihin carb is complicated and made so you can tune every aspect. If you learn to tune the AP and get the A/F to around 12.5-13.5 it will run better.

There are lots of things you might want to know about this quad and I will PM you some resources.