PDA

View Full Version : ltz250 lowering for ride quality?

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2010, 07:23 PM
my girlfriend has a 05 ltz250 and if you ask me the suspension was stiff and the center of gravity was to high and made it easy to flip. i couldnt find lowering kits and she didnt want me to flip the rims to make it wider cause she thought it wouldnt be safe. so i searched for shorter shocks and found that after market atvs like pepboys brand had shocks the right size. i found a pair of front shocks for 40 bucks brand new and installed them, they are 11-12 inches eye to eye black and chrome. i also bought a rear pitbike racing mono shock for the back but it turned out to be to low and the driveshaft started to pivot upwards so i did not use it.

But those front shocks went on effortlessly and lowered the front perfectly they were a lil soft so we put them on the highest setting and instead of the a-arms being in a V shape they were now almost level and had almost as much travel as the stock front shocks. i still needed a rear shock so what i took 1 of the stock front shocks and used it for a rear shock!!! now it sits perfectly lowered and looks awesome!!!

the only downfall to this is its super soft in the rear and slightly bouncy in the front. although z250s arent hardcore race atvs some people ride them pretty hard this setup will work for my girlfrien cause she only does light trail riding and rarely takes it outa 4th gear so it will be more stablefor her and ride nicer.

i test rode it before i let her do it and it turns on a dime "donuts galore" and is great for turning at speed and drfting but with the stock shock in the back the way i ride it has a tendency to bottom out a lil. i am looking for a stiffer shock the same size as the stock front, for the back. and there is also front shocks that are a lil higher quality then the ones i bought but these will work now for a testing stage.

i had to use a new smaller bolt for the top of the rear shock with washers and spacers, also had to use spacers and washers in the front. do this at your own risk and dont ride it like a motocross racer and youll have alota fun with this setup. i wouldnt jump it or ride on unknown ground at high speeds like this but would deffinetly drift and do donuts in a safe area with a helmet.

JOHNDOE83
02-12-2010, 07:17 PM
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/dragex023.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/dragex025.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/dragex024.jpg

250ex_dan
08-14-2010, 02:57 PM
looks really nice man!:)
you should post some pics of the front and back so that you can see how low it is
you think the same shocks will work on a honda 250ex.?(i ride fast and some trails)

JOHNDOE83
08-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Im 90% sure they will work just fine, I had to buy some nylon spacers from home depot to space the shock eye from the mount, but they do work nicely for just mild riding.

Id try to get some different shocks maybe? they are really cheap, ill try to dig up some good shocks at a good price and post em up in a second.

Whats the eye to eye measurement on your shocks?

250ex_dan
08-16-2010, 02:18 PM
i think its 12in.

JOHNDOE83
08-16-2010, 09:07 PM
the shocks in these pics are 12in shocks.

250ex_dan
08-17-2010, 09:25 AM
wil they hold up if i ride moslty in the dessert.?\
sice they are the same height eye to eye...will it even lower it.?

250ex_dan
08-28-2010, 11:46 AM
...?anyone

250ex_dan
01-11-2011, 03:36 PM
will this lowering make the quad wider?