PDA

View Full Version : Grab Bar

mitchconley
01-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Okay so i know that theres 10,000 threads about this but there arent any from the past century so i figured i would make a new one. I want to cut off the old "grab bar" which is really just the end of the sub frame and either weld on or bolt on a custom made grab bar, but i have a few questions.

1) will cutting the subframe challenege the integrity of it and lead to future problems?

2) would it be better to bolt one on or weld it on? both are easy to do for me i just dont know any pros/cons to them

honda300EXtreme
01-27-2010, 08:32 PM
this has been done by many many people and alot of members on here. doin so will not challenge the integrity of the frame because you are not removing any thing. the grab bar will still be there as a cross brace if you want to think of it that way.

if your capable, i would definatley make it so it bolts on. So than you have the option of removing or replacing the existing one down the road.

tywebb3
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I have also been thinking about cuting my grab bar off and welding mounts to the frame like my old 250r so a bolt-on grab bar can be used. My questions is, would a 450R or 250R grab bar be the best to go with when choosing a replacement? I would like to have light mounts on the bolt on grab bar so I can keep the brake light?

brokenmike
01-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I have to post pics but I used a grab bar from a 250x. I cut the old one off, measured and cut into the sub frame to accept the threaded pieces I made and welded them on the sub frame then capped the end of the tubing off

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=3024125

brokenmike
01-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I have to post pics but I used a grab bar from a 250x. I cut the old one off, measured and cut into the sub frame to accept the threaded pieces I made and welded them on the sub frame then capped the end of the tubing off

brokenmike
01-29-2010, 06:56 AM

red416ex
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I used one off a 250x also.....I tried to post pics but it says they are to big.....