PDA

View Full Version : Is MY Head Going?

hondaracing0144
01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
so i pulled out my quad today its been sittini for about a day but i let it warm up o its own ( loud rattleing noice from the engine when first started then finally went away) and i made sure it was warm then i back it out and when i gave it alittle more than 1/4 of the gas it sounded like i was hitting the rev limiter but it felt like it wont getting gas or something but i drove it and when i let off the gas it back fired alot and blue smoke was coming out the pipe does anyone know if my head is going or something else thanks

honda300EXtreme
01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
if it was a rattle odds are its your cam chain, pull your valve cover off and see whats goin on. check to see if there is slack in the cam chain, and make sure its still in time..

after you get that much figured out we can go from there

hondaracing0144
01-27-2010, 08:13 PM
okay i have no idea where the cover is lol

smr
01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
you have one of two problems.

I would agree with honda300extreme....most likely you have jumped time.

You must remove the front plastic. Remove your tank. Remove the valve cover..all of it not just the inspection plates. Then remove the two plugs over your fly wheel. Shine a flash light in the top hole and turn the flywheel until you see the T. Line it up and make sure you marks on the cam gear are level with the head. If they are off then you jumped time. I would sugest you buy a new timing chain if this is the case.

The other problem would be the carb. 300ex/250x's are known for dropping a needle. The little clip that holds the carb in place comes out and the needle drops. They will usually idle fine but they have no power and the back fire when you give it gas.
Remove the top off the carb and remove the little screws holding the slide in place. This will let you pull the lever out and the needle should go right though it. It it's not there then it fell down into the carb. It should run fine if you put the clip in the middle groove. (although this doesn't ecplain your raddle unless it just didn't have any oil in the top end)

good luck and let us know what you fine.