PDA

View Full Version : Tuning for 145-155lb rider?

yamaha_maniack
01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone else out there that is 145-155lbs could help me tune the stock front suspension on my 2009 YFZ-R for racing? If you could post a pic of how you have your reload set, and then tell me how many clicks out from all the way in on rebound and low speed compression and how many turns out on high speed compression (how many turns out on the one that is red and needs to be adjusted with the wrench is. i couldnt remember which was which screw for high and low speed compression) then that would really help me out to get a start at what would be a nice setting for my weight..

I will be racing in the WORCS stock sport class so i would like a nice setup for racing. For anyone who doesnt know, WORCS series has half off-course/woods and the other half is like MX track style riding.

So any help would be really appreciated! i think i have them setup alright, i just think that they could be setup a little bit smoother for my weight and or racing. I just dont really have a place to start, and i dont really have much experience tuning.

Thanks again in advance!

miles Machine
01-28-2010, 12:08 AM
well with your preload you need to set it to meet what kind of riding you do for mx you need your rear (measure from the foot peg to the ground) at about 6.5"-7.5" depending on track conditions (ruts etc.) and the front (measure from the furthest point forward on the frame that is level) and that should be any were from the same to .5" more than the rear.

as far as your comp. and reb. adjustments thats a personal preference i recommend setting everything to the middle of the adjustments....then eather have a buddy that knows what suspension should be and shouldnt be doing or have him video tape it and you look along with remembering how the bike felt at the time to tell if the bike was bottoming, to hard, packing etc.

the most common thing i see ppl doing is alot of adjustments at once and they most always make things worse..take your time do small adjustments to one circuit at a time it will take multiple runs to get it at a base point...and then again depending on the track you might need to tweak it hear and there

Vampire2800
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm 6'2" and weigh about 185-190lbs. I have a spanner wrench for the front suspension, but how do you adjust the rear suspension? I can't get that wrench in there, too tight. I mostly trail ride with a few medium jumps ( 5-10' off the ground). When I come down, I can sometimes feel my foot pegs slamming into the ground (or so it seems). Tire pressure is good, though. ALso, does the little brass screw on the top of the rear shock ( turn right for "H" & left for "S") actually do anything?

miles Machine
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
the preload adjuster on the rear you can get to with a punch and hammer but you can run the risk of ruining it if you dont do it right..the second thing you can do is take the shock out and just keep adjusting it until you get the results you want.....and yes thos adjusters do do something top is you low and high comp. and the bottom is your rebound

yamaha_maniack
01-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys..

Any more tips for my weight? i have a pretty well setup for the thing, but i have a race coming up and would like to get the front suspension, at least, as soft but still effecient as i can for the smoothest ride the stock shocks are going to give me. i understand that the compression and rebound are a preference, but i would just like somewhere to start for a 145-155 lb rider, you know? i will do some personal adjustments afterwards, but i just need a place to start.. I know what to look and feel for, i need to first off get a similar-feeling setup for around the same weight person, if that makes any sense..

Thanks for all of the input! Anyone else?

Later

miles Machine
01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
well if your looking for a soft setup just set it all the way soft and adj from there.....its gonne be hard going off someone elses set up because its different for prefference, skill level and track conditions i mean you might do 80 doubles and a guy telling you what to set it to might only do small tables...track conditions are the same were you live might have alot of blue groove tracks other ppl might have loomey sandy tracks.......i would do EXACTLY as i said and set up you preload and get your ride height right...then set all your settings in the middle and do some test runs and do small changes at a time from there....like i said before setting up your suspension takes time to get it just the way YOU want it.

yamaha_maniack
01-31-2010, 03:37 PM
yeah i understand... i think i will start with preload and go from there.. i already have my ride height where i want it so now i am just trying to get the compression and rebound to where i would like it..

Later