PDA

View Full Version : 2004 honda 450r goin bad?

cheater13
01-27-2010, 02:16 PM
i been informed that the 2004 model of the honda 450r isnt good. it was the first year they made the 450r i heard and i heard it had bugs or something in. I found one for only 2300 with tons of good stuff done to it and im debating to buy it or not because my buddy said the 04 model wasnt good. Is this right?

01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
the 04 05 450's have crank bearing problems. the crank bearings go out, motor locks up, or the crack goes threw the cases. but not all the 04's had this problem. ive read around and its the majority of the 05's.

cheater13
01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
is there anyway to fix that before it happens because i want to buy an 04 because i found a very good deal on it but im rethinking because of that

01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
honda updated crank and bearings. DONT PUT ANYTHING FROM HOTRODS IN IT, like a crank or w.e

Scro
01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
There is an updated crank bearing from Honda. Do a search, you should find all the info you need. If this update is performed, they are much more reliable. $2300 is a good deal if it's clean.

cheater13
01-27-2010, 02:52 PM
how much do you think them costs to buy and put on? and its more than clean. heres the info:
Hotcams stage 1 camshaft, prodesign pro flo kit. k and n air filter, houser a-arms, gt thunder rear shock and linkage, gt thunder sprocket and rotor guard, gt thunder graphics, gripper seat cover, renthal bars, power mad hand guards, full yoshimura pipe, and others

Scro
01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Well, it involves splitting the cases. Splitting the cases on these motors is easy as it gets though, as long as you are mechanically inclined and have a service manual.

You may want to ask him about the update. He may have already taken care of it. Being an 04, the bearings probably would have already been toast if they haven't been replaced yet and the motor has any kind of hours on it.

I would jump on the deal if I were you. He won't have it very long, if it's as clean as you say.

racer 557
01-27-2010, 09:55 PM
thats about how much i just spent to fix mine......

oh and about dont buy hot rod cranks i have a hot rod crank just stock bearings it seems fine right now

d3ktrix
01-27-2010, 11:02 PM
The 04-05s that had the crank bearings problems normally failed with low hours on them.
So if its an 04 that is still kicking I would say it is not one of the ones that had the bad bearings.

NOT ALL 04-05's were affected, only ones made with in a few month period.

Though of course the crank/bearings can fail in any bike/engine.
Cranks and bearings are a wear part and need to replaced just like anything else after a while.

My stock 05 crank and bearings lasted me a good 500 hours before I replaced it with a +3 crank.
And it was perfectly fine when I took it out.

IMO Hotrod makes fine cranks, though I would never use their bearings because of all the stories. Most of the time it is the bearings that fail, not the cranks them selves.
Though if I was going with a stock stroke crank, I would go with OEM all the way over hotrods. Only time I'd go with any other brand over OEM is for a stroker setup. And would only do it if the crank was balanced to the piston in use.
The Hotrod cranks are designed to be used with the heavy OEM piston, so if you are going with something significantly lighter, balance/weld it.

cheater13
01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
ok thanks. so how much is this update of the bearings though and where could i get some of these at that will last? Sorry im new to the honda forum. i used to have a mojave.

d3ktrix
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
ok thanks. so how much is this update of the bearings though and where could i get some of these at that will last? Sorry im new to the honda forum. i used to have a mojave.

The bearings are like 20-30bux each.
You can get them on any site that has OEM parts like motosport,service honda, bike bandit. And any Honda dealer / Parts dealer can order them for u.

cheater13
01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
ok thanks. when i crack the case though, what do i need to put it back together or do i need anything at all?

d3ktrix
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
ok thanks. when i crack the case though, what do i need to put it back together or do i need anything at all?

Top and bottom end gasket kits.
New crank seals.

I'd also just replace the timing chain while your in there.

Special tools you'll need...

Balancer Nut Socket
Flywheel Puller
Torque Wrench
A penny to wedge between gears to loosen/tighten bolts
Clutch hub holder or a Clutch Fiber & Steel riveted together to loosen/tighten the clutch hub nut. (Impact gun also works if you don't care about torque specs)

When I did my first bottom end rebuild on my 3 year old engine I replaced every single bearing and seal in the bottom end and tranny. Most people don't though.

cheater13
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
ok thanks. ill keep that in mind

racer 557
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
well i was told oem honda bearings hot rod crank soppose to be weleded and balanced and we got a lighter wiesco stock compression piston she still ripps but not as much pull you off the quad power as before when it had the HCP in it

Ruf Racing
01-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by racer 557
thats about how much i just spent to fix mine......

oh and about dont buy hot rod cranks i have a hot rod crank just stock bearings it seems fine right now

That's a good setup! ^^:D

Smoker
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I have an early 04 model and I've never had a problem. I keep up on maintenance and pay attention to the condition of the oil (prescence of metal shavings). I'll probably pull it apart next winter and put bearings in it but feel safe that it will do fine for another year. Like any used bike, it's a crapshoot.

HondaRaceReady
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Special tools you'll need...

Balancer Nut Socket
Flywheel Puller
Torque Wrench
A penny to wedge between gears to loosen/tighten bolts
Clutch hub holder or a Clutch Fiber & Steel riveted together to loosen/tighten the clutch hub nut. (Impact gun also works if you don't care about torque specs)

Now I get why you found a penny in your transmission a while ago.

d3ktrix
01-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
Now I get why you found a penny in your transmission a while ago.

huh? I never found a penny in my tranny.

There was a penny laying in the pictures of my tranny, but that wasn't in the tranny. Was just on the work bench as one of my tools. LOL

HondaRaceReady
01-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry I thought it was you. There was someone on here that was describing weird transmission problems that happened right after he rebuilt it. Eventually he tore it down to look and found a bent up penny.

d3ktrix
01-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
Sorry I thought it was you. There was someone on here that was describing weird transmission problems that happened right after he rebuilt it. Eventually he tore it down to look and found a bent up penny.

This thread?
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414468

The penny was for size comparison :P
Guess I shouldn't of used that that looked all murdered, I can see that confusing people :P

cheater13
02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
whoah. he must of forgot it when he was using it and left it in there :p

d3ktrix
02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
You guys are hopeless. lol