PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket here?

fuddrucker
01-22-2003, 01:50 PM
I neeed to replace the rubber cap which is actually this part "CAP, CYLINDER HEAD SIDE" circled with blue in diagram, and it looks pretty simple. Just remove the top part, (circled in red) and drop the cap in the side. Then put the top back on to the head, basically. Problem is, is that I don't see any gasket part number or even a gasket to replace. I figure there must be one right? :confused:

Thanks.:macho

GNCC#829
01-22-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't think so, I'm not positive though. If there is, it is a metal gasket.

fuddrucker
01-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Just for a little more added info and another question, this is the cap I am talking about (oil is seeping past it) and has anyone else replaced this before? Is it as easy as it looks?

Thanks again:D

BS300ex5
01-22-2003, 02:24 PM
ok here goes... you want to apply a coat of threebond semi-drying liquid gasket around the contacting parts of the cylinder head. (we just use a black silicone adhesive sealant) the thing is there is a wall like thing in between the timing chain androcker arms and there are 4 holes on this wall, 3 circular just large enough for a bolt and the other is a rather larger oval hole. DO NOT put the sealant by the 3 smaller circular holes but u can putn it around the oval hole ... if this doesn't make sense just act like i never responded but it's straight from experience. as for the cap leaking just put the same sealant all around the cap and put it back in or buy a new one and put the sealant all around it and put it back in. hope this helps and i'll check back to see if u have any more questions.

nj300exr
01-22-2003, 02:52 PM
no gasket there just put a gakest making silicone material around it

300exazzkikr
01-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by BS300ex5
ok here goes... you want to apply a coat of threebond semi-drying liquid gasket around the contacting parts of the cylinder head. (we just use a black silicone adhesive sealant) the thing is there is a wall like thing in between the timing chain androcker arms and there are 4 holes on this wall, 3 circular just large enough for a bolt and the other is a rather larger oval hole. DO NOT put the sealant by the 3 smaller circular holes but u can putn it around the oval hole ... if this doesn't make sense just act like i never responded but it's straight from experience. as for the cap leaking just put the same sealant all around the cap and put it back in or buy a new one and put the sealant all around it and put it back in. hope this helps and i'll check back to see if u have any more questions.

what he said, plus you could put the silicone gasket maker around that black disc looking thing and that'll stop the oil.

fuddrucker
01-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the info.

Upon closer inspection, I can see what looks like a grey or white silicone gasket type material between the two pieces.

For those of you who have done this, the whole thing just lifts off right? I mean parts don't go flying everywhere (like the valve springs and stuff) do they? I don't mean to sound stoopid, but I have taken other things apart and whamo, parts shoot out everywhere.

Thanks.

TRX_Thumper
01-23-2003, 08:46 AM
no nothing will pop off...it just lifts right off...theres no sense in buying a new black rubber cap...just coat it with the liquid gasket...i always use the orange colored permatex i think its called...honda doesnt recomend it but oh well it doesnt dry hard and forms a great seal...no matter what brand you use be sure and let it sit over night before starting the motor

fuddrucker
01-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Cool, Thanks.

I will just use the gasket maker stuff since it will stop the oil. I was just curious in case I ever deceide to replace my valves, cam, ect.

TRX300X
01-23-2003, 10:12 AM
You're supposed to use Yamabond 4 around the valve cover and around whatever that rubber part is. I've had the same problem that you have in the past.