PDA

View Full Version : Linear equations anyone??

racergirl13
01-26-2010, 07:12 PM
How do you get the x and y intercepts for this linear equation?

5x-3=0

Thanks for your help!

coile33
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
you already have the x , what do you need the y for? hehe!!!

racergirl13
01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't know =/ same thing I was thinking!! it's just what the problem says to do.

Fred55
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Solve for x.....its just a vertical line that crosses at x=3/5....therefore there is not a y intercept.

jesseweaver
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
y=mx+b

ZeroLogic
01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
5x-3=0
Add 3 to 0 to iscolate the 5x
5x=3
Divide 5 into 3
5/3=
x=1.6 with a line over the six

Hope that helps. Its been a while for me.:p

ZeroLogic
01-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
y=mx+b

Isn't that for line and slopes?

jesseweaver
01-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Isn't that for line and slopes?

haha i think so, idk i just remembered hearing something about that and linear equations around the same time in school so i thought they might be related lol

reconmaster
01-26-2010, 09:28 PM
question is when are we ev going to use this unless we are an architect or engineer? that was always my question

Fred55
01-26-2010, 09:29 PM
5x-3=0
5x=3
Divide 5 into 3
5/3=

lol Didn't I say that?

jesseweaver
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by reconmaster
question is when are we ev going to use this unless we are an architect or engineer? that was always my question

right now in this thread!!

reconmaster
01-26-2010, 09:37 PM
haha i'm talkin about down the road:blah:

ATV Chic
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
You will if you're a pharmacy tech ;) :p

motohanks
01-26-2010, 09:47 PM
it's probably not a good sign that I was unsure about the y-intercept part and I'm in Calculus 3 in college studying Mechanical Engineering. Oh well, I'm just a freshman. :ermm:

reconmaster
01-26-2010, 09:55 PM
wouldn't think pharmacy tech would need to knwo that good to know... just seemed like a lot of this stuff when i was in highschool seemed pointless and not realistic sorry to hijack this thread (rarely happens) had to be a critical thinker :devil:

racergirl13
01-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks for everyones help!! :)

ZeroLogic
01-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
lol Didn't I say that?

You said three divided my five.:p

Fred55
01-28-2010, 10:19 PM
haha well I meant I said to do that process...except I was right

ZeroLogic
01-28-2010, 10:51 PM
haha well I meant I said to do that process...except I was right

Really? :confused:

Its been a while since highschool for me.:p :o

Canadian144
01-29-2010, 06:23 AM
5x-3=0
5x=3
Divide 5 into 3
5/3=

haha I'll confirm this, learnt it 2 years ago I think lol.

extremeblastr
01-29-2010, 07:19 AM
umm not to burst anyones bubble but to get the answer for 5x=3 you would divide 3 by 5 not the other way round meaning x = 0.6 not 1.6 repeating mmmmmk

extremeblastr
01-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by reconmaster

used to ask the same question but in truth math is kind of like a work out for your brain, if you brush up on your math once in a while you will find some of the smaller things you do day to day that require logic come to you easier.

Fred55
01-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm a senior this year in Mechanical Engineering, pretty sure it is 3/5 or .6!:p

extremeblastr
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm a senior this year in Mechanical Engineering, pretty sure it is 3/5 or .6!:p

thats the answer i gave lol they (zerologic) had it all set up right but then divided 5 by 3 instead of the other way around lol

TNT
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
used to ask the same question but in truth math is kind of like a work out for your brain, if you brush up on your math once in a while you will find some of the smaller things you do day to day that require logic come to you easier.

Well put, it's been over 25 yrs since I've been in Engineering school and I rarely use what I learned but I know where to look and over the past 25 years my schooling has helped in many applications in life. Use to wonder why I am studing this stuff too you'll see later as Extremeblaster said you're training your mind to think better thats what is important.

My guess in an infinite line at x=.6 since there is no solution for Y. Don't listen to me tho it's been too long. ;)

03pete
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
This Help?

Ralph
01-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 03pete
This Help?

That is correct. To find the point where the line crosses over the Y axis (y-intercept), you plug x=0 into your equation.

plug 0 into your equation and you get -3.

The equation is really 5x-3=y. But to find the x intercept you do the same thing and put in y=0. solve and you get the point on your line where y is = 0. (x intercept)

And trust me, while you don't think you will ever use this when your older, MANY people do. You may not like learning it but I'm sure you would not like a world without it very much.

born2ride14
01-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Remember its RISE OVER RUN

TNT
01-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Here’s a little more tid-bid on the practicalities of what your learning for the Engineering students that I’m sure is the same for larger corporation and downscaled for smaller ones.

When I graduated college back in 84 AE after becoming a licensed Airframe and Power plant mechanic where I did actually use what I was schooled in, I started on the B2 Bomber in Liaison Engineering Pico-Rivera, CA which is the middle between Design, Manufacturing, and the Mechanic. I started in the clean room making repairs for composite structures that Mechanic’s or the Designers messed up, so I would say in that role I used more of my practical schooling than Engineering.

From there I got my first Design job on the A-12 Attack Aircraft for Mc Donnell Douglas in St Louis, in this job used more of my Engineering education, but as a designer in large corporations you're more the synergy of it ALL Engineering. Here you get to be creative and analytical and have a lot of support groups that feed you input. For example, we have Stress Engineers that crunch numbers all day make about 20% more than Designers since they use all the statics, dynamics, etc in thier job. Then we have the Aero Dynamist another in HIGH demand and top of the pay scale that uses all the Fluid Dynamics, Physics, etc that they learned in college. Then we have the Materials Technology Engineering that supports the designs that uses all the Chemistry, Thermo, Metallurgy, etc……..See! So in the Manufacturing world actually the more you use and are capable of using the tools from school the higher you are in demand the more you make.

Electrical/plumbing same thing as a Designer that routes wires/plumbing I have analyst that design the circuits, etc, that are in some cases higher demand better paid. Me as a designer take there math, etc, and put it to practical use but we work together. Today right now I'm a Manufacturing Engineer on a assy line supporting mechanics back to mainly practical experience.

If you go out to the Can-am section and have followed some of my post I based on my schooling I know where to look when situations pop up and I am able to see technically deeper than most even when functioning outside my career. Just last week for example, even after 25 years of schooling I was showing everyone the mechanical properties of our DS450 aluminum frame and the weldability of it, and from my schooling knew what properties to look at. I have also applied knowledge from school to cars, construction, etc….

So I’d say most definitely learn all you can it will help in all aspects of your future life and you never know what job you might end up in. I actually wish I had started in one of the Anaylist Jobs especially when the economy gets rough they are still in demand since most can't do the math.

Don’t know what math majors do I hope to never see calc again lol. Pay attention to English and typing too I wish I had more. :cool: