PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs 700xx (not performance ?'s)

maddmatt02
01-26-2010, 04:39 PM
alright, I have wanted a 450r for a long time, but now this 700xx has really caught my eye. I have ridden a stock 04, and I have also ridden a lightly modded 04 and 07 yfz, a 460ex, and I really enjoyed every one of them.

I have then ridden a 01 660r that was piped/jetted, and an 02 that was piped/jetted as well as +2 LT/elka front end, +4/+4 (swinger/axle). the ride on the 02 raptor was definitely nice cruising over the rough sand.

I would take any one of the 450's or even the built 460ex over the raptors. I dont hate them, but I just dont like them near as much. I cant even really pinpoint why, I know some of it is powerband, I like winding the smaller bores out. and it just doesnt feel like you can throw the rear end of the raptor around as well as the other bikes.

I have read that the 700r is a much nicer bike than the 660r, but Ive never ridden one.

for anyone who has ridden a 450, a 660r, and a 700xx. if you didnt like the 660r, do you like the 700xx? or am I most likely going to feel the same way about the 700xx that I do the 660r.

I really love riding in the sand and would spend as much time as I could there, but will definitely hit up some trails as well.

kenny450er
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
i raced a 700xx up at silver lake sand dunes this past summer with my 06 trx 450 er at the time i only had a few mod's done to my quad and i spank him. for the 700xx sake i hope the kid didn't know how to ride because if that's all they got there a wast of money.

speedracer350X
01-30-2010, 04:51 AM
For what it's worth, I rode with my friend who used to write for Quad Mag. when he 1st got the 700XX to test. I had just bought my '07 450ER that past winter ( a leftover in Feb. of '08). Our machines were all stock. We didn't really get a good ride in (he got a flat, damn garbage on the trails) I did take it for a 2 minute spin. Jumping directly from a 450r to a 700XX the weight was def. noticed. The power on the 700 was def their, but it seemed awful heavy and I kept thinking to myself, by I'd hate to roll this one or get it stuck on a coal bank and try to shift it around. Compared to my 450r, which the power to me seems more like a 2 stroke, you gotta keep the revs up. The 700 is more like a "Harley Dav." of atv riding. We did go out later that season, probably a year ago by now, it was in the winter with about 4-5" of snow on the ground. I have a set of Spider tracs on a seperate rim set that I put on my 450r for the winter. We were with a mixed group of guys, some had 4x4's, they went first and busted the trail. The 700 seemed to perform well. Like I said, IMO, it's a nice machine, not a nimble trail bike like the 400-450 class. Seems awful heavy, but I was doing a direct comparison at the time, switching back and forth. Also, at the end of the first time we were out (it was summer time in July or Aug when we loaded it on my friends truck , wow, what a workout, we didn't have ramps, we got it loaded but I swear we felt every 500 or so pounds of that machine. Hope this helps you out some. I'm sure like every machine though, once you get used to it it will fit like a glove and you'll know its strengths and weaknesses.