PDA

View Full Version : 700xx vs 450r (not performace ?'s)

maddmatt02
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
alright, I have wanted a 450r for a long time, but now this 700xx has really caught my eye. I have ridden a stock 04, and I have also ridden a lightly modded 04 and 07 yfz, a 460ex, and I really enjoyed every one of them.

I have then ridden a 01 660r that was piped/jetted, and an 02 that was piped/jetted as well as +2 LT/elka front end, +4/+4 (swinger/axle). the ride on the 02 raptor was definitely nice cruising over the rough sand.

I would take any one of the 450's or even the built 460ex over the raptors. I dont hate them, but I just dont like them near as much. I cant even really pinpoint why, I know some of it is powerband, I like winding the smaller bores out. and it just doesnt feel like you can throw the rear end of the raptor around as well as the other bikes.

I have read that the 700r is a much nicer bike than the 660r, but Ive never ridden one.

for anyone who has ridden a 450, a 660r, and a 700xx. if you didnt like the 660r, do you like the 700xx? or am I most likely going to feel the same way about the 700xx that I do the 660r.

I really love riding in the sand and would spend as much time as I could there, but will definitely hit up some trails as well.

700xxmaniac
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
well the 700r is alot better than the 660..... but the xx will have a hard time making the back end slide unless u get the sonic rear sway bar. with the 700 (r or xx) if you rev it high like a 450 it gona slow you down alot and most people make this mistake u gota short shift.....once you get irs down ull never go back to sra... but for you get a chance to test all of them out be4 you go spend $$$.... i love my new 700xx for me in my opinon it the best 4,100 ive ever spent..... oohhh ive spent way more time on my ferinds 07 700r i use to ride it more than he did... but i haden't riden it sines i got the xx and beat the 700r with it.....

maddmatt02
01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I know the one time we had the 460, 2 YFZ's, 2 660r's all side by side, they pretty much held each other. Id say the 07 then 04 YFZ were a little out in front, with the raptors and 460 right behind, and pinned in 5th (I know I didnt hit the limiter on the 460, who knows if anyone else did), we were all pretty close to even.

Ive seen a dyne sheet of this xx, and it looks like once its opened up,it makes its peak power somewhere around 6500-7k. dont know how much revs drop when shifting, but I would imagine shifting somwhere around 7500-8k would probably keep you right in the meat of the powerband. so it seems like it does like to wind out a little bit. obviously not like the 450r that seems like it builds its peak power around 8-9k+ from what Ive seen on some dyno sheets.

I could get used to whatever way is the best way to ride, and Im sure I could asapt to the IRS, if I cant throw the rear end around in the sand though, then I think its a deal breaker for me.

not really any dealerships nearby here, and the one there is, is yamaha/ktm/polaris. Ive heard theres a honda shop around here but Ive never seen it. I am not in the position to buy just now though.

I wonder how the used sales will go for these bikes. if people can get them new right now for 4500 or less OTD, when(if) they are a couple years old and the new ones are getting msrp, will the used ones be worth more than their purchase price was?

skier207
02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
If you really like to slide the rear end around you most likely not like the XX. I have a Outlaw 525 also and it slides much like a SRA but it is a maintainence monster.

However the XX is really cool this rocky *** desert. I have rode it in the dunes and it gets around just fine, but the rear is not real loose.

TRX450R2
02-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by skier207
If you really like to slide the rear end around you most likely not like the XX. I have a Outlaw 525 also and it slides much like a SRA but it is a maintainence monster.

However the XX is really cool this rocky *** desert. I have rode it in the dunes and it gets around just fine, but the rear is not real loose.

I love my 700XX, you can ride it fast est over rough ground. It just won the BAJA 1000 race quad class easily. Not made for sliding but definitely made for high speed comfort! Love IRS for trail ridin racin XCountry and good in the sand! Cheers, Jeff

700xxmaniac
03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by skier207

the only maintainnence ivedo to my xx i change the oil and oil filter

markk
05-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by 700xxmaniac
.....once you get irs down ull never go back to sra... .

i agree with you but that comment that i left reminds me of a GNCC pro class rider that was sponsered by a company that had and IRS machine He made the comment that he would never go back to a Straight axle machine but two races later he showed back up with his old honda but his contract with this company wouldnt let him race. Each machine out there will work better for one application than another one will.

and yes the raptor700r is alot better than the 660 but the 700xx is a totaly diffrent world. At lease in the woods.