PDA

View Full Version : Connondales???

rider250ex
01-22-2003, 01:07 PM
are they really that good. i am thinkin of sellin my 250ex this spring and buying a used cannibal w/ renthal bars and hmf exhaust. i was just wondering what you thought of them and does anyone have any pics of them.

freakystone
01-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by rider250ex
are they really that good. i am thinkin of sellin my 250ex this spring and buying a used cannibal w/ renthal bars and hmf exhaust. i was just wondering what you thought of them and does anyone have any pics of them.

Just be careful about used Dales. The warranties are NOT transferable and I hear that they are getting worse about replacing defective parts. I think Dales depreciate quicker than any quad made right now. Bummer.

MxDale71
01-22-2003, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't trade mine for anything else. Ofcourse if someone held up a gun to my head and said, "You have to sell the Dale and buy something else that isn't Cannondale." I would buy a R or KFX, but since I doubt thats gonna happen, I won't be getting rid of my Cannondale for a LONG time. It feels extremely light in the air and it handles really good. I thought the stock rear holeshots grabbed way to much in the corners though and that made it feel kind of tippy at first, but I've got Tamers on mine now and it's much better. The maintanance is a little more involved but not hard, BUT if you want yours to last, you can't treat it like a "ride it and forget it" quad. You will have to do the regular maintanance on it. I've never had a problem with mine though. Just make sure all the updates have been done, and take it for a test ride. I'll garuntee you that you will be hooked. This thing is pretty quick.

Here's a pic of mine... I have over posted this pic really badly... I'm sure everyone in the world has seen it by now :D.

LapTraffic
01-22-2003, 03:21 PM
I love mine, make sure you test ride it and Id have a dealer check it out to make sure the updates have been done (the 40 dollar cost will be more than worth it)

If it's an older bike, and the updates are done, and it runs well I would buy it.

And yes, they really are THAT good ;)

rider250ex
01-22-2003, 03:23 PM
i defineatly want it alot. but i dont seem to see many companies advertising parts for them. are there many companies making parts???

freakystone
01-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
I wouldn't trade mine for anything else. Ofcourse if someone held up a gun to my head and said, "You have to sell the Dale and buy something else that isn't Cannondale." I would buy a R or KFX, but since I doubt thats gonna happen, I won't be getting rid of my Cannondale for a LONG time. It feels extremely light in the air and it handles really good. I thought the stock rear holeshots grabbed way to much in the corners though and that made it feel kind of tippy at first, but I've got Tamers on mine now and it's much better. The maintanance is a little more involved but not hard, BUT if you want yours to last, you can't treat it like a "ride it and forget it" quad. You will have to do the regular maintanance on it. I've never had a problem with mine though. Just make sure all the updates have been done, and take it for a test ride. I'll garuntee you that you will be hooked. This thing is pretty quick.

Here's a pic of mine... I have over posted this pic really badly... I'm sure everyone in the world has seen it by now :D.

I agree about it feeling tippy. I had a Speed and it felt very uncomfortable turing at any speed at all. If it would have had reverse I would have kept it, no doubt. I would have replaced the Ohlins and definetly the rims and tires. Then it would be good to go. I hear rumors of Dale looking to add reverse but since they are a smaller budget company, I think they will stick with the existing format for a while.

I am not one of the ones that thinks Honda will step up and offer us all a racer type quad. I think they will bless us with something, but it will be in the realm of Z/Predator/Raptor power. If anyone will give us the power king we are all looking for, it will be Yamaha. I wont have another Yamaha...

LapTraffic
01-22-2003, 03:57 PM
The aftermarket parts supply isnt real huge yet, but you can get anything you need from the few who are supporting it.

As for turning I guess it's just what youre used, definately ride it before you buy, you'll know then whether the bike is a fit.

New tires make a world of differenace in handeling

Guy400
01-22-2003, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't trade my Dale for anything. The sketchy turning is inherent to the Holeshot tires, not the chassis of the quad. I had Holeshot's on my LT that was nearly 51" wide and the turning was unpredictable. I wouldn't call the Dale tippy but the tires make it a treat sometimes. You can powerslide the same corner over and over and it will be smooth as glass and then one time you'll hit that same corner and those tires will decide to bite and the front end will be looking skyward. I'm looking to ditch these Holeshots for some Razrs here soon. Cannondale is still just as good about honoring warranty work. They have, however, changed the way they approach it (as I knew they would have to do). If you went into the dealership and said your Dale burped on a ride they were sending you a completely new motor, no questions asked. Now if you have trouble and you take it in under warranty they're just sending new top ends rather than complete motors. Your problem is still being addressed with new parts but Cannondale isn't wastefully spending cash.

Ryan
01-22-2003, 04:04 PM
I really hate you guys......

Your making me want a Cannondale so much. Right now I would give an arm and a leg to have one :blah . Hopefully it might be my next machine or it could just remain a dream :(

rider250ex
01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
well if the bolt pattern on hondas and dales are the same(which i think they are) then when i get the dale i can put the beadlocks wit the 18" razrs on the dale and put the holeshots on the 250ex right before i sell it. and as for the shop checkin it out before i buy it, if you cant tell i am buying it from a shop(if not then that would be one rich guy with all the bikes in the background) so i think i will be happy if i get it. but i still might just get a brand new kfx if they sell it before i get to it.

LapTraffic
01-22-2003, 04:21 PM
You can ride mine any time you want.... oh crap, you'r eon the other side of the country... too bad :)

Razrs are very nice, I stupidly put a set on my wife's warrior (before I put new on my dale) and her bike is very smooth to corner, for a 420 pound underpowered pig.

I wonder if she'd notice them swapped out with my holeshots :D

For what it's worth, I think the lack of inconsistancy in the holeshots is due to its 2 ply rating, a stiffer tire would handle more consistant

freakystone
01-22-2003, 04:29 PM
I put XCR's on my Z and it is such a nicer tire compared to the XC. Still 20's but a lower profile.

MxDale71
01-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Hmmm... I haven't heard any rumors about C-dale considering reverse. I doubt they will though. They are really into the racing scene and on a quest to lose 50 pounds. I don't think they'll add anything that is not needed in racing. I think if they come out with anything radically different than what they offer now, it will be a 450, but w/ their current budget and the 4-stroke limit being 440 for quads right now, that won't happen for a while.

Ya, the tippyness was definitely because of the tires. After I put my tamers on, I rode it for the first time at the Outlaw Amature National at Swan MX and I couldn't believe how much better it cornered. Then when I borrowed a set of 2.5 wheel spacers for the rear for that one race, I was able to corner faster than I ever could. So now I'm trying to save up for an axle, but that looks like it'll take a while.

rider250ex
01-23-2003, 11:03 AM
hey. has ne1 had trouble starting theirs in the winter or just cold. the guy up at the shop i might buy it from said that it doesnt like the cold because of the fuel injection in all. would the mapping have ne thing to do with that???

ranger400ex
01-23-2003, 11:46 AM
the Dale is definitely the best out their right now, but only for those that are willing to tame it. I have owned my new one for 5 days now. It is Kenny(Pappys')2003 dale that he had for about an hour or so(JK, he wanted something he could tinker with all the time so he got another R) It will outpace any other quad out their, STOCK, hands down. It is a "race ready" quad and therefore is like the CRF and YZ and RM in that you must keep it maintained. Everyone wants to buy something and ride it till it breaks, well then stay away from any type of racing machine.

Maintenance is essentially the same as when I raced the EX. Changing oil, and fluids frequently and pads when needed. The manual is very straight forward about the procedures.

The first things I noticed are as follows,

Pros
1)Lightning quick, with loads of power (One of the first quads/bikes that I have rode stock that make you respect it)
2)Very light handling and feeling(in a good way!!)
3)Excellent throttle response
4)It will rev to the moon, I found myself pulling gears too much when all you have to do is stab the throttle the other half of its travel and hold on
5)frame and geometry are WAY WAY better than my EX setup for racing and it is in stock form(ie No gusseting, powdercaoting, no mild steel, better swingarm)
6)Stainless brake lines stop on a nickel
7)most maintenance items are easily accesible, yet well protected(See below)
8)fuel injection
9)high attention to detail with focus towards the competetive rider
10)A first for a company to make a bold step, come out on a limb and stand behind there stuff. Haven't seen Honda or Suzuk, or Yammy do that for all the prayers that they have received.

11)Competition ready

Cons
1)demands respect, not for a novice rider(ie first quad)
2)tires and wheels are not up to par with the rest of the machines capabilites and purpose (Blaze/moto are the exception to this) Good set of wheels and tires are in order
3)Doesn't like to be lugged, but why would ya lug it with all the power and revs?? :macho
4)not in most general/recreation riders budget (unless you have a good bud at the quadshop) compared to the endless fields of ex's, rapturds, z's, etc, but if you are racing add up the others with necessary items VS the dales and you will be suprised. I work for and receive support from Lewis Suzuki, but by the time I got the z (and at a smoking deal no less), fixed the shortcomings(ie shocks, $hitty swing arms, tires and wheels, brake lines, stabilizer, bars etc., gusseting and powder) It was ALOT more than the price of the dale, and it would now require the same amount of maintenance, care; but still not have near the power or handling of the dale, and when resell time comes a $5000 quad w/ $4000 in accesories is not worth anywhere near $5000. where as the dale should still be within its limits.
5)regular maintence is a must, but for those of you who don't do that already to any typs of bike/quad you deserve the troubles you have.

for me it was the perfect choice. I take alot of heat from the shop for the dale, but once we laid it out in black and white, Keith understood the logics of the purchase.

I will have to say this, John(one of the guys I race with) rode it last night after jsut getting done with his big dollar 440EX with all the goods and he was flat out impressed. He agreed that the quad was scary fast and handled extremely well. I belive that exact phrase was(I just finished mine, and it needs to go, my fiance is going to kill me if I sell it now and buy a dale, but it will be easier to ask for forgiveness, than to beg for permission) I talked with him today and he is working with a fellow riding buddy to sell it and pick up a dale. ONE RIDE, yes one ride. And John will attest to it.

99% Suz, Hon, Yamy,Pol
The best 1% dale!

Let me know if you should have any questions. Feel free to take a ride if you are ever in the Indy area,

Ben Wrightsman:D

Ryan
01-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
the Dale is definitely the best out their right now, but only for those that are willing to tame it. I have owned my new one for 5 days now. It is Kenny(Pappys')2003 dale that he had for about an hour or so(JK, he wanted something he could tinker with all the time so he got another R) It will outpace any other quad out their, STOCK, hands down. It is a "race ready" quad and therefore is like the CRF and YZ and RM in that you must keep it maintained. Everyone wants to buy something and ride it till it breaks, well then stay away from any type of racing machine.

Maintenance is essentially the same as when I raced the EX. Changing oil, and fluids frequently and pads when needed. The manual is very straight forward about the procedures.

Pros
1)Lightning quick, with loads of power (One of the first quads/bikes that I have rode stock that make you respect it)
4)It will rev to the moon, I found myself pulling gears too much when all you have to do is stab the throttle the other half of its travel and hold on
5)frame and geometry are WAY WAY better than my EX setup for racing and it is in stock form(ie No gusseting, powdercaoting, no mild steel, better swingarm)
8)fuel injection
10)A first for a company to make a bold step, come out on a limb and stand behind there stuff. Haven't seen Honda or Suzuk, or Yammy do that for all the prayers that they have received.

11)Competition ready

Cons
2)tires and wheels are not up to par with the rest of the machines capabilites and purpose (Blaze/moto are the exception to this) Good set of wheels and tires are in order
3)Doesn't like to be lugged, but why would ya lug it with all the power and revs?? :macho
4)not in most general/recreation riders budget (unless you have a good bud at the quadshop) compared to the endless fields of ex's, rapturds, z's, etc, but if you are racing add up the others with necessary items VS the dales and you will be suprised. I work for and receive support from Lewis Suzuki, but by the time I got the z (and at a smoking deal no less), fixed the shortcomings(ie shocks, $hitty swing arms, tires and wheels, brake lines, stabilizer, bars etc., gusseting and powder) It was ALOT more than the price of the dale, and it would now require the same amount of maintenance, care; but still not have near the power or handling of the dale, and when resell time comes a $5000 quad w/ $4000 in accesories is not worth anywhere near $5000. where as the dale should still be within its limits.
5)regular maintence is a must, but for those of you who don't do that already to any typs of bike/quad you deserve the troubles you have.

for me it was the perfect choice. I take alot of heat from the shop for the dale, but once we laid it out in black and white, Keith understood the logics of the purchase.

I will have to say this, John(one of the guys I race with) rode it last night after jsut getting done with his big dollar 440EX with all the goods and he was flat out impressed. He agreed that the quad was scary fast and handled extremely well. I belive that exact phrase was(I just finished mine, and it needs to go, my fiance is going to kill me if I sell it now and buy a dale, but it will be easier to ask for forgiveness, than to beg for permission) I talked with him today and he is working with a fellow riding buddy to sell it and pick up a dale. ONE RIDE, yes one ride. And John will attest to it.

99% Suz, Hon, Yamy,Pol
The best 1% dale!

Let me know if you should have any questions. Feel free to take a ride if you are ever in the Indy area,

Excellent Rightup. I do have one question though.......

What would be the normal maintance on the Cannondales and what should you watch out for (Problems)? Thanks

LapTraffic
01-23-2003, 12:18 PM
I do the bulk of my maintenance in 5 hour increments

Change:
engine oil (Redline 10w 40)
tranny oil (Redline Light weight Shockproof)
gas filter (cheap)

Inspect:
Spark plug (cr8ek)
Coolant level (water wetter)
Fasteners (I remove the body plastic at this time and give everything a wipe down. Ive had some important fastners come off and I would have caught them had I paid a bit more attention.)

I wash the bike after every ride, inspect and clean the airfilter, and WD-40 the shock arms and chain, as well as grease the tie rods.

That's pretty much it. I bought a Scotts SS oil filter so that all my fluid filters are cleanable.

MxDale71
01-23-2003, 12:19 PM
Some people think I over do it, but I change my oil after every third trip to the track. To the people that think I over do it... I simply ask them, "How many problems have you had out of your quad? Cause I haven't had ANY :D" I also change my fuel filter w/ every 4th or 5th trip to the track. I clean my air filter on a regular basis... Don't really know how often... it just depends. And after every race or practice, I clean it w/ a water hose and rag and check for ANY cracks and/or loose bolts. Mine is in the shop due to some recall update w/ the motor mount on the engine rail. I absolutely HATE letting other people work on my quad (with the exception of a select few people... none of those people being the ones at the shop) but unfortunately they said they had to do the work on it and wouldn't just send the part(s) to me.

Like I've said in another post, the only problems my C-dale has had were caused by me wadding in a race or practice.

Ryan
01-23-2003, 12:44 PM
It seems if you keep up with the Cannondales Maintance it is quite reliable. What about the frame and the oil? I hear you have to put oil in the frame..... How much and how often?

Im going to use all of your [maintance] tips from you guys for the future :) . I owned my Blaster for 3 years now and I never really kept up with the maintance because I never knew what to do (My First Quad). It probably would have lasted much longer if I toke the time out and do a few check ups.

LapTraffic
01-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Engine oil runs through the perimeter spars of the frame. Pretty trick, I guess motor cycles having been doing that for some time?

Takes a quart per oil change. And just under a quart for the tranny. (theyre separate)

MxDale71
01-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Mine take just over a quart of oil for the motor, and a just a bit under a quart for the tranny.

AlaskaSpeed
01-24-2003, 05:36 AM
Bottom line....Cannondales ARE reliable, parts ARE easy to find and as long as you don't maintain it like it's a TRX300ex 4x4 hunting mobile you'll be fine. After tearing mine all the way down to the frame, every last bolt and hose; I couldn't tell it had gone through a full MX race season. The frame, swingarm, shock mounts, footpeg mounts, etc all straight and no cracks. The cams, piston, cylinder wall, clutch, transmission....all within spec and looking clean. I actually changed my oil and cleaned air filter after EVERY race weekend, but that is just me. I like to think that is one of the reasons the internals look so good.

As for the tippiness, that is definitely the Holeshots; I am replacing them with RAZRs. As for Freakystone, he flip flops more than anyone I know...he even has more than one user name on the sites; so I don't put any stock in what he says.

If you can tie your shoes, you can maintain a Cannondale. It's not that it's a hard quad to take care of like everyone thinks, it just really demands that you do just that....TAKE CARE OF IT! :D JIM

Chanman420q
01-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by LapTraffic

Razrs are very nice, I stupidly put a set on my wife's warrior (before I put new on my dale) and her bike is very smooth to corner, for a 420 pound underpowered pig.

thats not nice to call ur wife a pig :D

freakystone
01-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Bottom line....Cannondales ARE reliable, parts ARE easy to find and as long as you don't maintain it like it's a TRX300ex 4x4 hunting mobile you'll be fine. After tearing mine all the way down to the frame, every last bolt and hose; I couldn't tell it had gone through a full MX race season. The frame, swingarm, shock mounts, footpeg mounts, etc all straight and no cracks. The cams, piston, cylinder wall, clutch, transmission....all within spec and looking clean. I actually changed my oil and cleaned air filter after EVERY race weekend, but that is just me. I like to think that is one of the reasons the internals look so good.

As for the tippiness, that is definitely the Holeshots; I am replacing them with RAZRs. As for Freakystone, he flip flops more than anyone I know...he even has more than one user name on the sites; so I don't put any stock in what he says.

If you can tie your shoes, you can maintain a Cannondale. It's not that it's a hard quad to take care of like everyone thinks, it just really demands that you do just that....TAKE CARE OF IT! :D JIM

You missed my point Jim. Dales are the best MX platform available. They are not the best overall quad available. I was going to get a Blaze this year to start racing again but things change and I wont have a dime of time to spare to race. I loved my Speed. Stock vs. stock. Nothing touchs em'

LapTraffic
01-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
thats not nice to call ur wife a pig :D

LMAO
Yep, it's not nice, please dont tell her I said that :)

MxDale71
01-24-2003, 12:18 PM
I agree with Freakystone, the c-dales aren't the best all around quad. I only race MX, so mine is great for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but I wouldn't have bought it if I was just a trail rider. The fact is, they aren't that great on trails in stock form. Although I think they would do very good on tight trails if they were geared down some. Stock gearing is to high on the Dales, IMO, but 18's help that A LOT. I nevered bothered actually gearing it down by getting new sprockets or anything and the Tamers aren't good in trails so I don't really know how good it COULD be on trails. But I bet it would be a MUCH better all around quad if the gearing was changed.

raptor_02
01-24-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm thinking about taking out a STUDENT LOAN and purchasing me a DALE. But that won't be until NEXT YEAR at this time :(

Chanman420q
01-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
I agree with Freakystone, the c-dales aren't the best all around quad. I only race MX, so mine is great for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but I wouldn't have bought it if I was just a trail rider. The fact is, they aren't that great on trails in stock form. Although I think they would do very good on tight trails if they were geared down some. Stock gearing is to high on the Dales, IMO, but 18's help that A LOT. I nevered bothered actually gearing it down by getting new sprockets or anything and the Tamers aren't good in trails so I don't really know how good it COULD be on trails. But I bet it would be a MUCH better all around quad if the gearing was changed.

they got a cannondale for everything IE the blaze

4punksdad
01-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex

Pros
8)fuel injection

11)Competition ready

Cons

99% Suz, Hon, Yamy,Pol
The best 1% dale!

I would love to take your quad for a spin...........oh wait, I already did :D

roostin_dale
01-24-2003, 10:10 PM
MXDale I LOVE your frame!

Here is a pic of my new dale:D:D:D
Picking it up sometime in early february....

roostin_dale
01-24-2003, 10:11 PM
oops..sorry

MxDale71
01-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
they got a cannondale for everything IE the blaze

Ya, the Blaze is good for XC racers but MOST people don't buy a $10,450 quad so they can just go trail riding around their house and stuff.

RoostinDale - Thanks... good ol' Mothers Aluminum Polish :D.

QuadTrix6
01-25-2003, 12:38 PM
you forgot one Con .....going out of business :huh :eek: :huh