PDA

View Full Version : Shocks Shocks Shocks

mitchamus
01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Well so many different threads on front shocks.
So whats one more post.

Does anyone have a comparison between all the 450 shocks. I like how the other all have that progressive spring unlike the honda 450r. I would like to know what is the easisest to modify. Would also like to know what to closest to stock as far as shock/wheel travel if it rasied ride height or how much sag it has now. Im really interested if the z400 will bolt right up?

YFZ, KFX, LTR, even the new Z400 shocks?

bkelley
01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the YFZs will be closest to a direct bolt on. Only thing I believe you'd have to do is knock the nut off that the plastics bolt to. The KFXs require some pretty heavy modification as you have to cut/grind about 1/8" off each side of the eye to get them to fit. I'm extremely happy with mine, though. With the stock arms, they lowered the front end maybe 1/8". I've only heard of one person who has done the LTZ fit and I don't know how easy it was.

Miami_Vice454
01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
not trying to steal the thread but what 450 shocks would be the easiest to put on? (least modifications to fit)?

bigbad400
01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
the stock trx 450r shocks are a direct bolt in and no others are. yfz kfx are too wide, shock eyes need to be narrowed. ltr it too long as well as can am and ktm too. the z400 shocks are direct bolt in. i have one in the garage. lol they may be slightly stiff, as the z is a heavier machine. honda 250r shocks work too if you find a deal on some used aftermarkets.

bkelley
01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
The YFZs can't be much wider than stock, they were about half as thick as my KFXs were.

TRX01
01-26-2010, 02:24 PM
no the yfz shocks are wider.....you have to grind down the top shock mount

ukweasel
01-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bigbad400
the stock trx 450r shocks are a direct bolt in and no others are.

that was not my experience, i had to grid down where the eye hit the screws that hold the plastic on, and the shock also hits the upper mount and needs to be ground down. I have an '05, don't know if it makes a difference.

bigbad400
01-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by ukweasel
that was not my experience, i had to grid down where the eye hit the screws that hold the plastic on, and the shock also hits the upper mount and needs to be ground down. I have an '05, don't know if it makes a difference.

if you take a chisel and whack that bolt off and put a buttonhead bolt and nut on top
you dont have to do that, mine took min to install and never touched a grinder. work smarter not harder....

ukweasel
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
the screw for the plastic wasn't the biggest problem. the problem was where the side of the eye hit the shock mount, becuase the edge is angled. if i put the bottom of the shock in, the shock would not fit in the mount to line the holes up for the bolt. if i put the top in first, the eye would hit the mount and the shock would point outwards from the quad becuase it was getting hung. i don't know if the mounts are different from year to year, but mine is an '05. there was no way the shocks were going on without grinding. i had to grind almost 1/6 inch to clear them. if you read elsewhere other people have had to do the same. i'm not trying to argue, but a blanket statement can't be made for all ex models being able to directly bolt on 450r shocks. i wish mine was as easy as yours.

mitchamus
01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I have done the honda 450R shocks. i have +1 houser arms and weight 200lbs. I did not like them at all. Seemed like my ride height was higher and had no sag. And i did not like the ride maybe it was the single rate spring. no thats just my opinion alot of peep sseem to really like them. Thats why im wonderin about the others mainly yfz or kfx. I'm not to worried about grinding the the shocks within reason i have friend who work in machine shops so i can get this done.

Duf6
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I have YFZs on mine on stock arms and really like them but you do need to grind the top narrower

omeeomy
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
i did the kfx on mine took about 20 min to slice them down with a cutoff wheel
and i didnt touch the nut for the plastic
cant wait to try them out