PDA

View Full Version : Best ignition set-up?

dericsdad
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Looking for everyones opinions...

What is the best/most reliable aftermarket PVL type ignition set-up for the least amount of money?

Malossi Digital PVL?

Stage-6 Digital PVL?

Penton Anolog PVL?

Other?

Please don't reply unless you have actually used them.

Thanks! Dan

Logan #34's Dad
01-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Well Dan, I've used both Anolog PVL and the Digital PVL (Stage 6). I feel the Anolog is the most reliable. And I have a hard time believing the Stage 6 one performs any better. My Anolog lasted for 3 years before the stator wire coroded(sp.) and was used by Cam Covil before that for who knows how long. I still have it but its a back up because I followed the "cattle to slaughter" - Did what everyone else was doing.
I saw Cole Shake's quad go through 2 Stage 6 ignitions. Take that for what its worth.
I would love to see a CRANK dyno test with all the ignitions including a stock one just to really see if there is any advantage.

zach R 7x
01-26-2010, 06:37 AM
we just swapped from the penton pvl to the stage 6 , inmo they are compatable as far as performance,what makes them unique is the installation and set up process.the stage 6 is much easier to set up than the penton.
we did not check what the horsepower diffrences between stock and the penton pvl,but we did with the stage 6 and just by bolting it on was a 2 horsepower increase over stock ign.

Logan #34's Dad
01-26-2010, 06:56 AM
The problem with wheel dyno results is there are too many factors (esp. clutching) involved in getting the results. the ONLY true way to know for sure if an improvement was made is at the crank. OR if Shawn or one of the other Dyno guys would come up with a direct drive system from the crank to the tranny. Just a thought.

01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Gary Fallon has the very best set up for dynoing these quads. Made by George . Soon as that is up and going Gary can have tru readings as his is water I believe.

Logan #34's Dad
01-26-2010, 08:37 AM
He's only had it for 2 years. It is not an easy system to use. Two man operation unless your George.

dericsdad
01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Do you think the PVL ignitions will gain you as much on a lower rpm torque motor???