PDA

View Full Version : 450r wont start - buying

jayrodau
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I went and looked at a 2005 450r that is in pretty much MINT condition. The guy said its been sitting in his garage for about 1.5yrs and swears the carb just need cleaning and it should start just fine. The tires were even flat when he rolled it out of the garage and had dust on the fender. Looks like it has probably been ridden 5-6 times max around the yard. lol
I really like it a lot and the guy is giving me a really fair deal. I am just really curious and would really like to see it start before buying it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Baileygunns
01-26-2010, 04:09 AM
Take the air filter off and spray a small amount of starter fluid into the carb. It will make the bike fire but won't run for long if the carb is gunked up. From the sounds of it I would bet it's the carb being gunked.

jayrodau
01-26-2010, 08:35 AM
What all is involved with taking off the carb on a 450r? I was thinking of just ordering a carb rebuild kit if I bought it.

Baileygunns
01-26-2010, 08:59 AM
It's easy with a manual (http://www.quadforce.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89 )

Download that and you'll be in business.

To do the starter fluid trick, pop the seat off, take off the airbox lid and pop the air filter off. You can spray it right in the intake tube.

jayrodau
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Sweet thanks! I will read through the manual today and see if it is something I think I can tackle.
I just hope the motor isnt cracked or locked up on it. It is in way to good of shape for that to be true....but you never know...

chillinsk8err
01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
check the oil fliter and check the oil if the oil smells burnt or werid. check the color of the oil. make sure there is no shaving in the oil fliter. if the motor is a kick starter and you can kick it over then the motor wont be locked up. when the motor locks up you wont be able to move the kick starter. if the gas has been sitting that long. you have to drain out the gas in teh gas tank. if the gas isnt coming out then the petcock is clocked so clean that out too.

quad71
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
IF your gona store use stabil i like the marine formula.