PDA

View Full Version : Fan Problems???

sha_rob_27
01-25-2010, 07:49 PM
has anyone had problems with their fan? i have an 08 ltr450 and i have never had the fan come not once! i have taken it to the dealer who checked everything. he plugged it into the port and no codes were present. i am really stumped. he swears the fan came on like it should.

i have ridden in 90 weather for 3hrs straight and i never had my fan come on. my dad has an 07 ltr and his fan comes on real quick, and my friends 06 comes on just fine. i realize if your going fast the fan is usless but when im idling in first gear or stopped for a second the fan should come on.

Does anyone have any advice for me???? im stumped. thanks for the help guys

gsxr68
01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
my 07 runs when the atv is off my 08 runs with it running but as soon as i turn off the engine the fan stops. I have heard they changed it to save the battery

miles Machine
01-25-2010, 08:13 PM
well first off hooking the bike up to the diag. system wont tell you if the fan and or thermo switch it bad.

energize the fan and make sure it is working independently from the system...then check continuity of the thermo switch at below fan opp temp and above it, i dont remember if they have a fuse on these near the fan like the z,s but if they do check that first lol...youd have to look at the service manual for fan opp temp tho but chance are if the fan is good the thermo switch is bad

sha_rob_27
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
i checked all the fuses and they are all good. this is my first quad so im not really on top of it. i am planning on unhooking the fan and just hooking it to a battery and seeing if it will even work.

thats the only solution i have. i have NEVER had this fan come on. I spit out radiator fluid and have filled it several times. i rode for 6hrs one day and the fluid went from completely full to the low level mark.

i just need this thang fixed

sha_rob_27
01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
oh also the shop apparently checked the temp gauge and all the sensors and everything was clean. the operating temp is the same for the 08 as it is for 07 and 06 according to my local dealer. i believe it is 220 degrees.

any ideas guys? im lost :(

miles Machine
01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
sounds a lil high usually 220 is the over heat light and about 180 is the fan other than checking that stuff i dont know what to tell you...you could get a heat gun and idle the quad to see if it comes on before the over heat light does...even using a head gun on the thermo sensor for the fan to raise the temp

Springbok
01-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Dont worry about the water dropping from high to low. I have a K7 and K8 and they both push out water every time I ride.I had fan problems on both quads,but it is always the fan fuse boxes terminals corroding and blowing the fuse. The fuse box is on the rH side of the radiator just inside the radiator shroud. Otherwise,just bridge out the temp sensor and check if the fan comes on.

mamafite
02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
we run our fan manually from the key switch in the headlight position, we race in the desert and when it is hot the fan cannot always cool the quad down in time.

leasureryan
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by miles Machine
well first off hooking the bike up to the diag. system wont tell you if the fan and or thermo switch it bad.

energize the fan and make sure it is working independently from the system...then check continuity of the thermo switch at below fan opp temp and above it, i dont remember if they have a fuse on these near the fan like the z,s but if they do check that first lol...youd have to look at the service manual for fan opp temp tho but chance are if the fan is good the thermo switch is bad BULLCRAP IT WON'T TELL YOU IF THEY ARE BAD! SDS will allow you turn the fan on and off to see if it works with the touch of a button on my laptop, and will tell you if the temp circuit is open or closed, or reading temps at all. there will not be codes...but Suzuki Diagnostis system is alot cooler than most guys think!!!

miles Machine
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
idk that SDS would do that i guess i didnt get enough time to play around with it...ive used it on street bikes and i do remember you can cycle a bunch of stuff thats on a bike but i didnt see the fan on there and i didnt think the ltr would be advanced enough on sds to tell you things other than the readings of the efi sensors.....see another marvel of fuel injection diagnostic systems are the cats *** when trying to fix and tune an efi bike