PDA

View Full Version : painting engine?

brian400ex
01-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Has anybody done it? How did it turn out. I saw one in the Febuary issue of dirtwheels. I think it looks cool.

wheeltrax
01-22-2003, 12:18 PM
You gotta use a high temp paint. Thats about all i know.

4TraxRider
01-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Walmart has some hi temp engine block paint.

Krazy Kid
01-22-2003, 12:44 PM
in it you get the cleaning stuff and ives used and it worked pretty well...

L.Vegas400
01-22-2003, 12:51 PM
on painting the eng here is my $.02

the aluminum your jug is mad of is very pourous(sp?). being made like this helps with cooling, so if you fill the rough aluminum with paint it may not cool quite as well. maybe somone has researched this more and found the true anwser, but that is my thinkings.

rider250ex
01-22-2003, 12:57 PM
dont paint anything that is air cooled. just my thought but i think the paint is an insulator and will keep the heat in and at the same time prevent the air from cooling the engine

nj300exr
01-22-2003, 02:55 PM
i wouldnt reccomend painting an aircooled engine as mentioned before it will destry your cooling. though you can go to work and polish it. my buddy has a 250r and since it is liquid cooled he got it airbrushed and it looks sweet and held up good except for where his boots rub.

wilkin250r
01-22-2003, 03:27 PM
I'll have to agree, don't paint an air-cooled engine.

High-temp paints and engine paints are ceramic, to withstand the heat and not discolor. Ceramic is a very good insulator, meaning it does not conduct the heat from your engine to the air.

I've also seen people powedercoat their engines between the cooling fins. Likewise, I'd only reccomend this on liquid cooled engines.

ChadEXer
01-24-2003, 10:37 AM
I also wanted to paint my head on mine but was afraid of the heating issues, especially with a bore\stroke of my size. I think mine would look real nice If I could paint the head and cylinder black, then maybe polish the outside edge of the fins! Would look real good with the black\red color combo on my bike, especially since my cases are red now! But I would rather be safe!!!

UglyMotha™
01-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by rider250ex
dont paint anything that is air cooled. just my thought but i think the paint is an insulator and will keep the heat in and at the same time prevent the air from cooling the engine

well considering the side cases have already been painted from the factory i see no harm in stripping them and repainting them but i wouldn't recomend painting your jug

AndrewRRR
01-24-2003, 12:06 PM
I am getting my jug polished. I think the Suzuki LT250 and LT500s came painted blue from the factory, but I wouldn't recommend painting a cylinder. I am going to either paint, powdercoat, or chrome ($$$$$$$$$) my cases soon.

Steve-o 400EX
01-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
on painting the eng here is my $.02

the aluminum your jug is mad of is very pourous(sp?). being made like this helps with cooling, so if you fill the rough aluminum with paint it may not cool quite as well. maybe somone has researched this more and found the true anwser, but that is my thinkings.

I agree totally. But it does sound like a cool idea.;)

skinrider440
01-24-2003, 02:04 PM
would high temp paint hold up to the sidecases?:confused:

UglyMotha™
01-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by skinrider440
would high temp paint hold up to the sidecases?:confused:

your boots would probably have it worn off in a week or two

wilkin250r
01-24-2003, 06:11 PM
If you get yourself a couple cans of it, whenever you start to rub it off, sand the area with a fine-grit sandpaper and re-spray it. Even if it's not the most durable, touch-ups are easy and cheap.

Martin Blair
01-24-2003, 06:13 PM
How and with what do you polish it with? and what do all of you think aobut jet-hot coating the exhaust? thanks.

haydug
01-24-2003, 08:01 PM
There is a place called "Replica Machinen" in the back of Motocross Action that is a black coating that helps cool the motor, it is a "coating" and not a paint. They have a web site also, I don't have a book handy, but check them out it is really neat.

Crazy Honda
01-25-2003, 12:33 AM
I'v painted my motor. I have yet to have it over heat though i'm going to ad an oil cooler just to be safe. I dont think it's any worse than people with mud all through the fins and I see that alot. Or maby i'm wrong hope not:eek:

kicken250x
01-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
I'v painted my motor. I have yet to have it over heat though i'm going to ad an oil cooler just to be safe. I dont think it's any worse than people with mud all through the fins and I see that alot. Or maby i'm wrong hope not:eek:

WOW!!:eek: That is sweet! Mine probibly going to end up like that befor the end of the year. Everything will be red and black. :macho Its gonna be pretty cool I hope. How long have you had you motor painted like that? Later...

Stevie-D
01-25-2003, 07:35 PM
send it to Pappy and have him PC it for ya:p

13RAZOR13
01-26-2003, 11:28 AM
we painted the jug and sanded the tips of the fins.
paint 1500 degre red no problem over a year&1/2
the rest of the motor is allmost fully polished
we want to redo the motor and polish the entire motor like the sks motors for harleys w/no paint even polish the jug & fins

phatswinn
01-26-2003, 08:40 PM
:eek: thats beautiful, not i wanna do that.. :devil with my motor out already i think i may try it, and get my frame pc'd dark blue with spectume sparkle thingers hhhmmm:D

gojk
01-27-2003, 04:24 PM
WHat brand and kind of paint was used on that.

anywhereEx
01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Try eastwoodco.com. They have paint specially made for engines and all of there other products are pretty good. Not sure on overheating or anything but that would be my choice.

13RAZOR13
01-27-2003, 07:26 PM
the red paint we use was from checkers or pep boys, or auto-zone I cant remember

Steve-o 400EX
01-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda

That looks really good crazy honda. who did it, or did u do it yourself?

Crazy Honda
01-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
That looks really good crazy honda. who did it, or did u do it yourself? I did it but we have a body shop that makes it nice.

anywhereEx
01-28-2003, 05:09 PM
How hard is it to keep the engine clean? I have been thinking of spraying mine black but I ride in alot of mud and I do not want to do it if it is going to be a pain in the *****

Crazy Honda
01-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
How hard is it to keep the engine clean? I have been thinking of spraying mine black but I ride in alot of mud and I do not want to do it if it is going to be a pain in the *****

If you clear it it is so easy to clean its just like washing your car. If you keep on it all you have to do is hose it off:D

quadgod440ex
02-05-2003, 08:08 PM
paint keeps in heat you dont want paint on and engine more then there is..... good luck

Diedrich
08-01-2003, 05:07 PM
u should find some kind of coating that they make for engines..im sure somebody makes it for engines. then have your side cases polished, that will make it look sweet.

nice lookin motor crazy honda