PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Shopping, What to ask Realtor

Sjorge450R
01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Just like the title says. A few close friends and I are in the process of checking out apartments for our school year next year (my school only supplies on campus housing for freshmen and sophomores). What are some things that I should be asking my Realtor?

Rent
Security Deposit
House Security
Ammenities
Pets Allowed or Not
What utilites I have to pay for and what ones the realtor is paying.

I really dont know what else to ask. I have already met with one realtor and they were very straight forward. Now I am meeting with another in about an hour and a half to check out three properties.

If you have advice let me know.

derekhonda
01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
First off....I've never understood why you would need a realtor to rent an apartment. Just ask around campus, you will hear many kids talk about the good places to rent and the bad.

On college campuses, a lot of landlords and apartments will be notorious for NEVER returning your deposit. Factor that into your costs.

Other than that, take everything you hear with a grain of salt. When the apartment manager is showing you your possible place if the fridge is nasty and he says "don't worry that will be replaced before you move in" Guess what!? Unless it says it in your contract, it probably will not be replaced. So everything you want or think isnt right, make sure it is in the contract. Also, before you ever move in, walk through the place with a video camera and the landlord and make sure they know everything that you deem "damaged". This should help you being charged for say cigarette burns in the carpet, when you don't even smoke and they were there in the first place!

Chino
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
Just like the title says. A few close friends and I are in the process of checking out apartments for our school year next year (my school only supplies on campus housing for freshmen and sophomores). What are some things that I should be asking my Realtor?

Rent
Security Deposit
House Security
Ammenities
Pets Allowed or Not
What utilites I have to pay for and what ones the realtor is paying.

I really dont know what else to ask. I have already met with one realtor and they were very straight forward. Now I am meeting with another in about an hour and a half to check out three properties.

If you have advice let me know.

Doesn't hurt to get estimates of what bills run either, it shouldn't be hard to find out what the power bill ran for the previous tennant etc...

Quad18star
01-25-2010, 12:17 PM
When I was renting , I asked...

How much is rent?
Is there a contract to sign .. if so is it 10 months, 8 months , 12 months?
Are utilities included .. if so which ones?
First and last required?
Pets or no pets?
Parking ?
Noise rules?
Are you allowed to paint or hang things on the walls?
Storage lockers?

Sjorge450R
01-27-2010, 08:01 AM
yeah these were pretty much all of the things that I forgot. Like hanging things on the wall, previous damage and the other small tings like that. As far as my hunt has been going for now, I found a absolutly amazing place about 2 blocks from where I live now and its amazing. If i could I would move out of my dorm now into the place. I still have a few more visits with other landlords this week, so I am sure that I may or may not find better places. Either way, the place i was at the landlord includes all utilities in a FIXED rent so the only thing on us would be cable and internet. the place is huge and has a security system monitoring every door and window (thats a must considering I go to school in North Philadelphia). The applainces and such were replaced this past year (I know hes not lying because they are all stainless steal and stainless steal shows its wear pretty good and everything here still looked new)

quad59
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
All you need to know is how many single chicks that like to party live close.

Sjorge450R
01-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by quad59
All you need to know is how many single chicks that like to party live close.

1st and 3rd floor of this apartment lol. We would be getting the 2nd

XXX -rider
01-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Apartment Shopping, What to ask Realtor....

if its a young women ask if she is single ..& wants to visit some time :devil:

Chino
01-27-2010, 01:15 PM
1st and 3rd floor of this apartment lol. We would be getting the 2nd

Then that would suck because all of the noise from the 3rd floor coming down and all of the noise from the bottom coming up. Personally I wouldn't live in a place with apartments stacked on top of each other. You have no idea how annoying it can be to come home to music blaring instead of peace and quiet.

tayyo789
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
a place to keep your quad:chinese:

Sjorge450R
01-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Chino
Then that would suck because all of the noise from the 3rd floor coming down and all of the noise from the bottom coming up. Personally I wouldn't live in a place with apartments stacked on top of each other. You have no idea how annoying it can be to come home to music blaring instead of peace and quiet.
yeah that's something to consider. I haveanother group of friends that I am trying to live on the third floor. The girls on the first floor resigned their lease so they will be there again. They seemed nice. Not too wild. But yeah chino, I see where you coming from. I'd definetly want to get friendly with them so everything goes good. He'll. I'm always trying to have a good time lol.

Chino
01-28-2010, 10:32 AM
yeah that's something to consider. I haveanother group of friends that I am trying to live on the third floor. The girls on the first floor resigned their lease so they will be there again. They seemed nice. Not too wild. But yeah chino, I see where you coming from. I'd definetly want to get friendly with them so everything goes good. He'll. I'm always trying to have a good time lol.

Just had to throw it out there man. Some things seem like a great idea at the time and I think we are all up for a good time but i'd rather have to go somewhere to party than everyone coming around my place. I like it quiet.