PDA

View Full Version : Which would you say is harder on your clutch? (please tell me your thoughts)

scuzz
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
So what do you say is harder on your clutch hardpack or mudd?

scuzz
01-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Please describe your answer if you don't mind.

SRH
01-24-2010, 09:29 PM
im saying mud because id get 2 seasons out of a clutch in hardpack and it really didnt need it , just did it to maintain...i think mud you have more of a tendency to slip it as well

Tommy Warren
01-24-2010, 09:54 PM
its always harded to get your tires turning in mud

coryatver
01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
When it is muddy out the clutch is going to be getting abused so it is going to be harder on it

400exrider69
01-24-2010, 10:39 PM
mud imo is harder on a clutch my bike had a fairly new clutch in it and after a two hour harescramble in the mud with front wheel locked up trying to get out my clutch didn't look so good first bike i've ever have to spider crack pressure plate i know it wasn't like that when i installed clutch

Robin Hood
01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Really depends how you ride it, but I'd have to go with mud. Doggin it in the mud always does a number on the clutch.

scuzz
01-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks for your opinions guys, keep 'em coming!

dan harris
01-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Another Clutch Question: Whats harder on the clutch? Shifting while holding the throttle pinned and grabbing a handfull of clutch to shift, OR Letting off the throttle for a second, shifting with NO clutch then getting back on the throttle.

Most the time I don't use the clutch, let off shift get back on. If the track is smooth I may hold it wide open grab clutch and shift.

I know shifting without the clutch will notch the basket making the clutch feel harder to pull? what do you guys do - think??

400exrider707
01-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by dan harris
Another Clutch Question: Whats harder on the clutch? Shifting while holding the throttle pinned and grabbing a handfull of clutch to shift, OR Letting off the throttle for a second, shifting with NO clutch then getting back on the throttle.

Most the time I don't use the clutch, let off shift get back on. If the track is smooth I may hold it wide open grab clutch and shift.

I know shifting without the clutch will notch the basket making the clutch feel harder to pull? what do you guys do - think??

I'd think the notches would get in there faster using the clutch. Think about how it works. When you pull the clutch lever, you are actually releasing tension on the clutch pack and it separates, when you let go of the lever, it forces them back together, this side to side motion is what wears on the basket.

They do make baskets with stainless inserts/covers to prevent this as well. I'd say shifting without the clutch is probably harder on transmission parts, but I've done it for multiple seasons of MX with my 400ex and my 450R and never had issues.

dan harris
01-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Most of my riding is done shifting without the clutch, but when I take my motor apart, the baskets are always notched up and my clutch is hard to pull in. I've recently installed a Hinson Clutch basket, hoping that will help.

400exrider707
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by dan harris
Most of my riding is done shifting without the clutch, but when I take my motor apart, the baskets are always notched up and my clutch is hard to pull in. I've recently installed a Hinson Clutch basket, hoping that will help.

They're just aluminum with steel clutch plates pounding on it... they will wear out no matter what. You can always try filing them flat again, but be very careful how you do this, you could make it worse.

Hinson makes some top quality stuff, but I dont remember their baskets having the stainless inserts... I know barnett did. I'm sure it will still last a ton longer than the stockers. Stock looks like machined cast parts to me, where as the Hinson stuff looks forged.

fastredrider44
01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Stock looks like machined cast parts to me, where as the Hinson stuff looks forged.

I can't remember exactly, But I think the Hinson baskets are machined billet, while the wiseco baskets are forged. I do know that Wiseco baskets will outlast the Hinson. I have both.

As far as the plates, I ran a mud race this weekend and have no clutches left whatsoever. I unloaded it, rode it up the hill to wash it, dumped the clutch in gear with the brakes on to kill it, and it took it a second or two.:mad:

BakerRacing40
01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
my clutch hates me... its used to take off and when i stop.. well sometime wreck avoidance tactics include a lil clutch action.. :p