PDA

View Full Version : Can you sand blue fuel tanks????

pilotpete
01-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi all i just bought like new 86 trx250r but the only thing letting it down is the fuel tank....i have sanded red tanks before with great result but was just wondering if you can sand and buff the blue tanks and get a good color back???

thanks
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/pilotpete1/DSC01466.jpg

extremetrucker
01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
i personally would leave it alone, the red tanks fade and can be sanded and buffed, but the blue ones i think get saturated all the way through so no amount of sanding will remove the discoloration. the one in that pic doesnt look bad at all in my opinion.

trx310R#24
01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
yeah... you can with any color.

norcalduner
01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Nice find there. That tank dont look like it needs work.

250Renvy
01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
You could replace it with a clarke or ims and it would look the right color.

BTW nice find in the UK. or did that get shipped from the U.S.?

What's something like that cost over there?

pilotpete
01-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
You could replace it with a clarke or ims and it would look the right color.

BTW nice find in the UK. or did that get shipped from the U.S.?

What's something like that cost over there?
No i found it in southern Cali and shipped it back .....still not sure one quote says i can the other not???? BTW the tank looks alot worse in real life.....

78250r
01-25-2010, 12:14 PM
im surprised no one has told you to just buy a cover for it

250rPRIDE
01-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 78250r
im surprised no one has told you to just buy a cover for it

why would you put a cover on a all original sweet looking r like that.. when you have one this nice no one is looking for a cover or aftermarket tank they want to keep it 100% stock..

i would try sanding and buffing an area underneath or under the fender just to see if it works and go from there..

NICE RIDE MAN looks good!!

All250R
01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
why would you put a cover on a all original sweet looking r like that.. when you have one this nice no one is looking for a cover or aftermarket tank they want to keep it 100% stock..

i would try sanding and buffing an area underneath or under the fender just to see if it works and go from there..

NICE RIDE MAN looks good!!
The fender and tank have different properties and don't react the same to abrasion. the color is obtainable, but getting the finish free of scratch lines and white milky spots is challenging.

NICE find by the way! I hate it when people tear these nice quads down and turn them into clown pants. Nice R!

78250r
01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
pretty obvious he doesnt like it so if wants to make it look nice he can put a cover on and still have all orig stock tank and so and so on he came on here lookin for advice to clean up his tank i gave an option

250rPRIDE
01-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by All250R
The fender and tank have different properties and don't react the same to abrasion. the color is obtainable, but getting the finish free of scratch lines and white milky spots is challenging.

NICE find by the way! I hate it when people tear these nice quads down and turn them into clown pants. Nice R!

no all250r i was talking about trying it on the tank itself under the fender, in case it doesnt work for some reason on a blue tank its best to test on a area that is able to be covered.
from what i see in the pic the tank doesnt look real bad i cant see why a light sanding and buffing wouldnt help, but i dont want to be the one to give you the ok, to have you ruin it completly, thats why i was suggestsing a test area that could be covered if it fails.
no trying to start a agrument and all suggestions are good ones, but i think if this guy bid good money and got this 250r shipped to another country, he knows that you can buy new aftermarket tanks and covers, if he wanted to go that route he wouldnt have asked on how to restore the tank he has, thats all i was saying, but it never hurts to throw in some good ideas, as everyone is doing.
thanks