PDA

View Full Version : Chrome powder coat?

ballzdeep38
01-24-2010, 12:10 PM
has anyone used chrome powder coat before? does anyone have anypics of how it looks? im thinking of doing my axle in the chrome powder or just a satin finish with clear powder over it. has anyone used it on their bikes?

leager-n-ky
01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
I have used it, if you look up a thread started by MasterLT450 called Laeger-n-ky's Laeger. you can see the clutch side cover is powder coated chrome, it just looks silver.

ballzdeep38
01-24-2010, 07:26 PM
i know sometimes pics can be deceiving. have you see it in person? i will look up his post to see the pics though. thanks

leager-n-ky
01-24-2010, 07:30 PM
yes, it is my bike. He just posted pic's for me. It's not deceiving, it's just silver, I was very disappointed.

ballzdeep38
01-24-2010, 07:41 PM
is the stator cover chrome powder too? do you have a close up of the clutch cover?

also what would be your suggestion? im using the stock axle and it is looking pretty bad. so i am dropping it off with a few other parts with the powder coater. i was going to have it media blasted (i think that will give it a satin look) then use clear PC. then i thought about the chrome PC.

here is a pic of the bike. it will have an aluminum 450r swingarm and linkage on it when these parts get back.

leager-n-ky
01-24-2010, 07:54 PM
No, The stator cover is billet alum. If your going to keep the stock axle on, just get it blasted to clean it up, I think if you P.C it, it would look good at first with either the chrome or clear, but i think it would start chipping, and look like crap then.
Your bike is coming along nicley, looks good.

leager-n-ky
01-24-2010, 07:56 PM
By the way, What is the sticker on your front fender " Spanky's"?

ballzdeep38
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
thanks. I figured if i blasted it and left it alone, it would start looking bad again. I thought the clear powder coat would at least protect that and make it easier to clean. Oh and the sticker is from a "book store" lol...:devil:

3leggeddog
01-25-2010, 04:08 AM
I know a guy that can get you hooked up with some nice looking chrome PC.I was happy with mine.Send me you email and I will email you pics.

leager-n-ky
01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
send me a pic also plzz. dgtrimble594@msn.com

250rPRIDE
01-25-2010, 02:00 PM
i had almost chrome pc done on some parts on my last 250r.. i wasnt happy at all it was just ok at first and after a few rides and washes it was worse than silver, i looked like someone to a sos to it, it was so dull, i will never use it again i know that, your better off using the spray bomb stuff and redoing it every other month..

pimpt250r
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
chrome PC looks good until you clear it ,then it just looks like a bright silver

if you dont clear the chrome it has no mar protection and it will ruin the look and leave it a dull gray color
so if its going on a part to be used or touched it should be cleared or the chrome will only last until it gets bumped with something
and if its in the sun will oxidize and turn yellow(more so with cheap powder)

I tell everyone its a nice silver and leave it at that :Dand I use it mainly for basecoats for candys anyways

Pappy
01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
pimt said it well....sounds like a few of you got hosed by a coater who used bonded chrome and no clear or muddied the chrome with the clear. I call it "3 foot" chrome

The bumper in this pic is chrome pc.....lasted quite well

leager-n-ky
01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
WOW Pappy, Yes that looks a WHOLE lot better than mine. And yes he has clear over mine that looks like it is an inch thick.

ballzdeep38
01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
yeah pappy that does look good. i have seen a number of pics on the net and that definitely looks the best.

Pappy
01-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I was happy with it

The biggest trick is to figure out the metal your coating. If it has a smooth surface, you can apply the pc thin, 1 or 2 mils at most. FULLY cure it, then clear. The chrome pc wont achieve its full luster untils its fully cured out.The chrome pc isnt very durable on its own so the clear is what will be the gaurd against typical things that could damage the pc.

If its a side cover or case, sand, sand and sand till its smooth. The bad part about several pices is that due to its shape you cant apply the chrome layer thin enough and a part not being round doesnt reflect the light as well as tubing.

honda350r
01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
That is the best chrome pc I have ever seen . Nice work Pappy !

Pappy
01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
If I remember correctly, that frame is chrome pc as well, and it shows exactly what I am talking about with regards to the chrome pc thickness and how it looks in the end. Ive done alot of frames in chrome with clear simply because teh person wanted a neutral color that could be used with most any color fenders/parts etc.

DEVINF450R
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Pappy does AMAZING PC jobs. and he even charges less. I recommend him over anyone. esp when it comes to ATV's.. he knows what kinda wear the part is gonna receive