PDA

View Full Version : starter not cranking engine.. ideas?

exrider4life
01-24-2010, 11:59 AM
my 99 400ex won't start, when i try to start it i just hear the starter spinning but not trying to crank the engine, On a search, i saw something about a one-way bearing or clutch or something that goes bad. I'm kinda thinkin that could be the problem. Any helpful ideas? thanks, steve

pitkendall
01-24-2010, 12:58 PM
thats what it is i just had to change mine yesterday for the same reason and cured my no start blues i bet u have a hotcams in your bike dont you the guy i buy all my parts from told me that almost everyone that he replaces has a hot cam in it he said its becouse they dont have a decompression on them so its harder to turn over so go buy a starter clutch a cover gasket and starter reduction cover gasket and a flywheel puller and swap it out and have fun

exrider4life
01-24-2010, 01:09 PM
dang, u're good man.. i sure do have a hot cam lol... And i dunno if it was this is another problem cause of it, but right before it went out i started gettin a loud clicking at idle.. hmmm .. i guess its time to go and order some parts. Do you happen to have the pn#s i'll need?.. how much of a pita is it to do?

pitkendall
01-24-2010, 02:55 PM
you need a left side cover gasket PN# 11395-kcy-671 and a starter cover gasket PN# 11377-hn1-000 and the starter clutch u can buy the whole starter clutch assembly or just the one way bearing. Starter clutch assembly PN# 28125-hn1-003 and just the one way bearing is PN# 28126-ha7-673 and u will need a flywheel puller from like motion pro or somebody its like 12 bucks.
Its not that hard to do just pull the starter cover off and pull the gear and shaft with spacer out then pull off the left case cover then remove the bolt in the center of the flywheel with a 17mm socket or wrench then thread in your flywheel puller hold the flywheel with a big wrench or big cresent wrench on the flats and tighten your puller till the flywheel pops off then u can just pull out the 6 allen head bolts that bolt the starter clutch to the back of the flywheel and pull off the starter clutch assembly then just reverse the steps to put it back together it makes it easier if u are like me and just changed your oil and dont want to do it all over again just lean the atv over onto its side somehow and do it no oil will come out or if its time for a change just drain the oil before you take the cover off but my best advise is if you already dont have one go get a manual when you buy all your other parts also that loud ticking noise is probably hot cams make noise no matter what but if it was real loud it may be valve lash out or timming chain good luck hope i helped

togup
01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
those are excellent directions ,I would like to add to them. The one way bearing can be improperly installed and when put back together and when you try to start it it will seem to be defective so put it in rite the first time and double check it before you seal it up. The manual tells how to test the bearing and how to properly install It.