PDA

View Full Version : remote truck starter...wtf???

Stevie-D
01-24-2010, 08:57 AM
i got a bulldog remote starter for my truck 2 christmas's ago, and am just now attempting to hook it up.
the truck is an 04 half ton ram, with the transponder anti-theft system, keyless entry, power everything basically..
me and my girlfriends father tore the bottom of the dash apart yesterday and traced and probed wires all day. we finally got it to start with the wireless remote. problem is, the truck would run for a few seconds then shut down. thinking it was the accessory wire, we traced and probed some more. and some more. we finally determined that the truck would remain running if the key was touching the ignition when the button was pushed. it didnt have to be in it, just touching it.

come to find out, the key touching the ignition cylinder is disarming the security system. bulldog sells a security bypass module to disarm it, but it requires an extra truck key inside of it to work.

i am assuming that it is just wirelessly grounding out the security system using the keys code?

so two questions:
does anybody have any experience installing one of these POS units into a vehicle with an alarm system? im just trying to determine if i should buy the stupid module or if there is a different way to bypass the security system.
second, is there a way to completely disarm the security system all together without affecting the trucks normal operation? IE power locks, windows, etc still working normally.
at the moment if i unlock my truck either with the factory remote, the key, or the door button, the truck turns on:huh i think ive got a wire crossed somewhere.

any help or thoughts are appreciated:macho

extremeblastr
01-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
i got a bulldog remote starter for my truck 2 christmas's ago, and am just now attempting to hook it up.
the truck is an 04 half ton ram, with the transponder anti-theft system, keyless entry, power everything basically..
me and my girlfriends father tore the bottom of the dash apart yesterday and traced and probed wires all day. we finally got it to start with the wireless remote. problem is, the truck would run for a few seconds then shut down. thinking it was the accessory wire, we traced and probed some more. and some more. we finally determined that the truck would remain running if the key was touching the ignition when the button was pushed. it didnt have to be in it, just touching it.

come to find out, the key touching the ignition cylinder is disarming the security system. bulldog sells a security bypass module to disarm it, but it requires an extra truck key inside of it to work.

i am assuming that it is just wirelessly grounding out the security system using the keys code?

so two questions:
does anybody have any experience installing one of these POS units into a vehicle with an alarm system? im just trying to determine if i should buy the stupid module or if there is a different way to bypass the security system.
second, is there a way to completely disarm the security system all together without affecting the trucks normal operation? IE power locks, windows, etc still working normally.
at the moment if i unlock my truck either with the factory remote, the key, or the door button, the truck turns on:huh i think ive got a wire crossed somewhere.

any help or thoughts are appreciated:macho

no way around it man, i've had remote starters in my last 4 trucks and to get the ones with the lock unlock built into the fob that comes with the starter to work you lose a key.