PDA

View Full Version : red hot pipe

stockboy
01-24-2010, 07:51 AM
i was riding with my friend in the snow and it seemed to be idling kinda high but it ran fine then my friend lost his oil cap so we stoped riding. when i went to load my z onto the trailler i let it idle for about five min to let it warm up. when i went to load it up the header pipe was glowing bright read. i thought somwthing might just be froze so i put it in the heated shop to melt. after a few days went to sart is and it was still idlind very high like the choke was on but it wasnt.

twincat800
01-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I dont know about your idling high but its obviously something to look into, im sure youve tried but turn the black knob just under the carb to change the idle. My friends yfz450 header gets hot near the engine, its an aftermarket header.

blaster3500
01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Getting that hot seems like a lean condition. Check and make sure you dont have any air leaks between the head and the carb.

350ex
02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Well I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with your carb but the pipe can glow if it sits with a high idle. Mine does. I've got an FMF header and I don't believe I am running lean. Mine even glows when I pull the choke out. I originally thought I was running lean. But after some research I don't think that a glowing pipe means there is something wrong. Now if you are idling high there is something going on there. Is it backfiring? Try adjusting your idle.

fmftrx300ex
02-15-2010, 12:13 AM
my buddys quads the same way glowing headers happen just check that ur carb is clean and that ur leaking air into the motor i.e. intake boot, or at the header (header gasket)