PDA

View Full Version : wont idle

Drewltr450
01-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Just put a completly fresh top end on mybike. started her up kept the rpm varying for the new cams, let it down to idle and it would crank over a couple times then die. if i keep the rpm up it runs nice it just wont idle. Right after i start the bike the FI light comes on solid red. At fisrt i thought my timing was off but the FI light is on idk what the problem is. i was thinking tps sensor but would that make the fi light come on?

miles Machine
01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
there is a plug on the front of the bike the one that the cherry bomb goes in what you need to do is close that circuit with a paper clip and cycle the key count the number of blinks the light has and match it to the diagnostic chart in the manual kind of like a car

Jim417mx
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
When I bought my quad I had this problem shortly after, i took it to the dealer and it turns out the throttle position sensor was off just a little bit... my bike would also start and run but not idle... hope that helps, I know all this new technology on quad sucks!!!

Drewltr450
01-27-2010, 06:01 PM
alright fixed the FI light coming on. (tps wire wasn't connected to the powercommander) Reason it wasn't idleing was cause my timing was off a tooth. But it still will not idle like is did in the past. It will idle really weak like its about to die for about 10-15 seconds then die. deffinetly will check my throttle position sensor. if its not that im stumped any other ideas please let me know.

honda250xman
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
there is a idle type screw. if you are sitting on the bike its on the left side. its kind of hard to see. its brass and kind of hidden its a flat head type screw its right near the frame rail and where the plastic meet. just look for it, you should be able to find it and it should fix your problem once you get it turned the right way

Drewltr450
01-29-2010, 04:44 AM
you talking about the fuel shut off valve?

Springbok
01-29-2010, 08:37 AM
No,it is on the throttle body. You need a long screwdriver and stick it between the frame and the fuel pump and turn the brass screw on the throttle body. Turn clockwise to up the RPM.If you fitted a new cam,that might just have put the idle rpm out.

Jim417mx
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
just an FYI that idle screw is kinda hard to find, dont over-look for it, I couldnt find it for a half hour then realized it was right in front of my nose.

Drewltr450
02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
got it all figured out. idles, runs, revs amazing. new 13:1 wiseco piston, kibble white valves, hotcams, fuel atv intake and a yosh exhaust man this thing pullllllsssss.