PDA

View Full Version : Calling all plumbers..

JForestZ34
01-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Ok he is my problem.. I need some help from someone who know's how indirect fired water heaters work.. I lost hot water this morning around 11am and I still don't have any.. I called my maintenance guy that services the building and no call back yet.. I have 2 kids that needs baths and a sink full of dishes to do..

Now from what I can tell the circulation pump is working and the boiler is working just fine but for some reason I still have no hot water... I read somewhere about an aquastat or something like that.. the circulation pipes going in and out of the boiler are hot but for some reason it's not getting to the coils in the water tank.. What could be the problem... I need help PLEASE

James

ROLLIEsMOMMY
01-23-2010, 05:17 PM
are you thinking of a thermocouple?

JForestZ34
01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
no I saw someone mention a aquastat.. It calls for heated water when you turn on the sink...

I don't know much about plumbing but something isn't right

James

derekhonda
01-23-2010, 05:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing, something isnt right. For your hot water to be going into the holding/warming cell hot, and then come back out cold, that seems impossible. There is no levers one of your kids turned or anything is there?

outacontrol
01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
so just to clarify, the pipes going in the water tank, and coming out are both hot?

JForestZ34
01-23-2010, 06:31 PM
These are kind of hard to explain...

On an indirect hot water tank there is water that gets circulated through my oil burning boiler... It's gets heated and in turn circulate's back to the water heater via a pump.. In the water heater tank there are coils running inside and that hot water from the furnace runs through these coils thus heating the water that's in the tank..

The water that is circulated through the furnace is way to hot for use so it goes through the coils transferring the heat to the water in the tank..

SO the water coming in and out of the furnace is nice and hot but nothing is coming out of the hot water heater.. When i put the hot water on it just comes out cold like the heat transfer is not taking place...

James

<DRS>GPF
01-23-2010, 06:41 PM
i found this.. (http://www.becketthm.com/pdf/Troubleshooting%20-%20Application%20Guide.pdf) which explains the operation.

3400ben
01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
is there a check valve on the system??
Can you feel the pump working (slight vib, hummmming) to verfiy if the pump has power and is working??
Next verfiy if it has flow? the fins could be broke on the pump
The water to water heat exchanger work by just flowing hot water thought and tranfers to the cold water

Is the water comimg out of the sink warm, luke warm or cold??

JForestZ34
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I got hot water back on at 2am.. The circulation pump burned out but was humming but not turning.. Was smoking hot.. replaced pump and I'm good to go now.

James

white tails
01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
im a plumber, when i forget my belt, jk hope you get it fixed right

diangelo#67
01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
man just saw this.....yes I'm a plumber an yes I was gonna say pump....most of the time if the water is hot in an out pump is busted, also you said you have kids did you buy a steel pump or brass.....steel is bad, rust happends