PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical question

BamBam730
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Today I went and started up all my atv's becuase they have not run in a while. I do store a friends 2003 ds650 with my atv's and I also maintain it for him while its here. When I turned the gas on his atv the overflow hose started leaking gas. The machine ran fine but as long as the gas petcock was on the overflow hose leaked. So I figured the needle may have been stuck, so I picked up the rear end about a foot from the floor and droped it a couple of times and the needle must have moved and there is no more leak with the petcock on. Is there anything else I should be concerned with regarding the leaking gas from the overflow hose when the petcock is in the on position, even know it doesnt leak right know?

xrxmxcx
01-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I would not be too concerned. Today's fuels are not the same as they used to be, and the shelf life of fuel is extremely low! We deal with this on a daily basis and carbureted engines, as well as EFI are dealing with the high ethanol content fuels we get.

IE..

Say over time old fuel sits in a tank on your (ATV/CAR/BOAT/ETC), due to the short shelf life of the fuel it degrades and leaves residue and "gums" everything up.

First thing everyone does? Throw some fresh gas in, and see how it goes? The second the fresh fuel hits, it acts as a cleaning agent, sending everything directly into your fuel system, blocking jets, sticking needle valves, even getting into and disrupting the flow of fuel injectors.

I know ATV's aren't boats, and that's where a lot of our background comes from, but one thing we are constantly looking into is using fuel stabilizer's and additives to help with the degradation of E content fuels.

Long term I would check/clean the carb/jets. Sounds like you were able to "shake" things loose for now.

Goodluck!

BamBam730
01-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Thank you for the insight.

TNT
01-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah use stabilizers I always do over the winter. It almost sounds like your float was stuck?

BamBam730
01-23-2010, 08:29 PM
TNT- you know its cold here. I dont live that far from where we both grew up. Only about 20 minutes west.

TNT
01-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah you grew up in LI, NY didn't you? Brentwood? Me2 :D

BamBam730
01-24-2010, 05:06 AM
TNT, you would not want to walk around there now. It has become not a nice place to live anymore.