PDA

View Full Version : crf250x

mx8
01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone has a crf250x or crf450x. Wanted to see what the good and bad are about them. And how reliable they are, any info would be great. Thanks

One_Bad_400
01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
i would not get the 250. the 450's, just like the trx450r. they are bullet proof. the 250, you'll be sweating about a new crank at 60 hours.

just my 2 cents. i would love a 450x as well

161xchonda
01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
I have a 2007 250x. Never have had a single problem with it before, and I am nowhere close to easy on it. Out of all the people I ride with, I am usually on the most underpowered bike but have no problem keeping up. I am about 6'3", so I can manhandle it fairly easy which is nice. For me, I would not want any bigger of a bike. The 250 and myself get along just fine. The biggest complaint I have with mine is the air filter. It's a huge pain in the rear end to put back in the air box. Other than that, I have no complaints at all. It's a great bike. Oh and mine has well over 60 hours on it, 60 very hard hours. The crank is fine on it, as is the rest of the motor. It's all factory.

John Noftsinger
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
My friends son had one and it was a piece! spoke,s came loose all the time (had to get aftermaket rims)the valve,s had to be adjusted all the time (every other ride) was just way to much to maintain for a trail bike . it was broke most the time he had it !

SRH
01-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
My friends son had one and it was a piece! spoke,s came loose all the time (had to get aftermaket rims)the valve,s had to be adjusted all the time (every other ride) was just way to much to maintain for a trail bike . it was broke most the time he had it !

spokes gotta be tightened regularly on every bike

the valves seem to be a major problem with the 250f..i think id go with a ktm or the crf 450x

woodsman250r
01-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger

Sounds like he had no idea how to maintain the bike. I have an 04' CRF 250x that I only had to tighten spokes once when new, and the valves are still in spec. If you have to adjust the valves every other ride, you need to learn how to properly install an air filter and keep it clean! These bikes are not XR's and require care to keep them running right.

I love mine and it has been very reliable for me. The suspension is great out of the box, but power is lacking until you do some mods to it. Open up the airbox, do the AP mod, throw in a 42 pilot and jet accordingly to your location to start with. See how the power is after doing those mods, which cost about $15 tops. You can always do the JD jetting kit and throw on a CRF 250R exhaust (04-05) to help too. I would keep the stock filter and screen for reliability. The stock tires suck, so put back some money for decent tires. I have the Kenda Millvilles and they work great for woods riding. Also be sure to keep the engine oil changed often! I use the Honda HP4 for the engine side and the HP trans for the clutch side (still with original parts.) However I will say that if you can find a KTM 200, I would get that over the Honda. ;) But you will not regret getting this bike or the 450.