PDA

View Full Version : Need help Jetting

bananas
01-23-2010, 04:45 AM
I have a 450r 06, new sparks head pipe and exhaust. Open air box and K&N filter.
HRC upgrade. New JE piston.
The head pipe after 3 minutes is very orange. Sparks paper work says 175, 40 and the clip on the 4th, with 2 full turns on the gas. I tried turning the fuel screw out to 4 full turns and no good.

Might be running sh** gas in it right now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

d3ktrix
01-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Just so u know at 4 turns out the A/F can fall out pretty fast.

Does the bike pop on decel at all in the high gears?

What compression piston? And fuel?

Since it's winter time, with the cold air their jetting recommendation might be a little leaner then normal.
What kind of temps are u riding in?

bananas
01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I have been to 5 turns out.
Compression is about 13 to 1, just done last week. I would say the gas is 89 maybe. When I rev it, it has no problems.
I do have av gas in the house which I could add to bring it up but it's not a problem.

I was told it's looking for more gas and go to a 50 on the leak jet...

I am in northern NJ... garage temp is about 40..

d3ktrix
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I would say ur exhaust heat problem is from running 89oc with 13:1
I had a friend destroy a top end from detonation running 93oc in a 13:1 setup.
Metal was eaten away all around the spark plug in the head. And the engine sounded perfectly fine until all that metal shot out the side of the cylinder.

That and a 40 pilot sounds kind of small, esp for this NJ weather. Though really it all comes down to the head work.

I'd say get some real fuel in it and then go from there.

Yeah I'd also recommend the 50 leak jet if the carb is stock. If it is bored, you might still get a lean bog when u snap the throttle even with the 50, if so just plug the leak jet with a screw.

Is it just glowing at night? Or during the day?
And at idling or riding it hard?

bananas
01-23-2010, 11:51 AM
After three minutes rev it up and it starts
to glow, as I rev more it gets brighter. I will add 108 octane I have and empty the bowl and change to the 50..

Thanks

d3ktrix
01-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by bananas
After three minutes rev it up and it starts
to glow, as I rev more it gets brighter. I will add 108 octane I have and empty the bowl and change to the 50..

Thanks

If u have a 40 now try like a 45 or something first, 50 is a massive jump.
Especially if it doesn't even pop on decel now, it might not be all that lean.

And some header glow at night is normal.

If its glowing real bad at idle, changing the pilot will affect it, if its glowing while riding hard/revved up the main jet will affect it.

bananas
01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Now is a Joke... The choke needs to be on to run. but the sad thing the head pipe is still orange... better but not by much.. I drain the bowl and put good gas in... If I go to 45 it still going to be bright orange...

The only thing could be the new remote fuel screw.

Through this hole thing i was great a little black smoke through the exhaust. Very little and I never had it running the stock pipe.

GIXXER1KR
01-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Bannanas i got an 06 DRG build.Im running 14:1 or 14.5:1 cant remember.HRC header and Yosh muffler.Open airbox and a K&N and im running a 175 main,42 pilot ,adjustable leak jet from R&D and my fuel screw is .5 turn out from closed.Runs decent.Any header after idling that long is gonna get hot.3 minutes with no air flowing thru the radiator and engine the header will get hot.

bananas
01-25-2010, 05:28 AM
I never had a Head pipe get that Orange before. I will be going back to 175, 42 ..

At least it ran great. I will bring more jets with me if I have a problem. Sick of take the gas tank off...

I will Call Sparks again to feel them out...

Thanks

Troy

novacain44
01-31-2010, 04:01 PM
just fyi if you got 13 to 1 you would need to up your octain alot i would run 108 in it without mixing that should cure the heat and detination i run cam 2 in my 12 to 1 and it runs like a champ cam 2 here is 110 oc

bananas
02-01-2010, 05:16 AM
I had about a gallon of 89 in it and filled it with 108.... Still head pipe was orange but not bright orange. I spoke a friend running the same pipe and his does the same thing. The head pipe is thin and it likes to glow....

novacain44
02-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Here is what you need to do take your plug out and if it looks any thing shy of new after you wire brush it off put a new plug in this is not to fix the problem,but to give a starting point put plug in and go for a nice little ride maybe 15 mins at difrent rpms drive it back in the spot your going to work on it again shut it off pull plug out the center of the plug is your slow side the outside of the plug is the hi side the color of both should be light brown if center is white or clean your lean on the slow side or idle if black or dark brown your rich or fat just let me now what plug looks like after the nice little ride