PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Polaris indy 500 snowmobile wont run?!?!

Trxman300
01-22-2010, 10:38 AM
ok i know its an atv form but i thought you guys could help me out.

we cleaned the carbs and put new plugs in. it has premium grade gas in it now.. it will start (not easy) and then will idle for about 17 seconds and die (on half choke). i thought i had it running right so i took it out on the pond and opened it up. it stalled in the middle of the pond. i have to wait like 2 min and start it while feathering the throttle and ride it on half choke. it still slowly boggs out and dies and i only make it about 30ft, if that each time. cant figure it out. please help!!!

storms400ex
01-22-2010, 11:19 PM
sounds like the pilot jet is clogged

sargescustoms
02-01-2010, 06:41 PM
It sounds to me also like a clogged pilot jet, or an air of fuel passage in one of the carbs are clogged. Make sure when you clean the carbs to completely disassemble them, then spray carb cleaner through every air and fuel passage to make sure they are clear. When rebuilding carbs (I do alot of them) I use a welding tip cleaner to clean stubborn jets and orifices. You might also want to check your rubber carb boots for cracks. If you have access to a compression tester, run a compression test on it. Make sure to either take the carbs off for the test, or hold the throttle wide open while testing. When I still lived in Alaska years ago, I had a 94 indy 500. Great machines. I had a problem with mine that about stumped me. the throttle cable came loose from one of the carbs, the thing ran like total junk until I finally figured it out. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Jason Bosarge
Sarge's Customs

Trxman300
02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
i figured it out like 2 weeks ago.

it was that tiny bit of old gas. because i kept pulling and pulling it to get it to run and when it did i let it idle on full choke untill it died and i kept doing that for like 4 min and it ran MINT ever since.

sargescustoms
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
cool