PDA

View Full Version : Engine Builder On The East Coast?

unstopable1
01-21-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm wanting to find somebody on the east coast that does good motor work for a reasonable price.I preferablly want someone on the east coast cost becuase I can drive to their shop and talk to the mechanic in person.I need to know what companys have a good 440 package.I checked out Pro Fab and they seemed to have good prices but their packages just went up to 416 and I want a 440 kit.They may have not updated thier website lately but I don't know.But if anyone knows a good engine builder that has decent prices and quality work on the east coast please let me know.
Thanks

knighttime2
01-21-2003, 11:30 PM
buy a manual, do lots of research and do it yourself, or contact any local quad dealer. When i put modded my engine, I wish i knew then what i no now as far as the extra things i could have done when i had the mofo opened up.

unstopable1
01-21-2003, 11:34 PM
I don't trust myself to take it apart so I'll let someone else do the work so if something does go wrong I'll at least have someone to blame it on.My local shops charge a fortune to have any work done to anything so that out of the question.
Thanks

YZROOSTINYA
01-22-2003, 03:44 AM
profabatv.com is in ohio and alot of people reccomend him

Predator36
01-22-2003, 04:23 AM
Scott at ProFab will do a 440 kit for you. Just call him as he offers a lot that is not on his site.

oynot400
01-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Talk to Mike at For Dirt Only. He is in Johnstown Ohio. You tell him what you want and he can build it for you. He is also very good to work with and build some very powerful, reliable motors.
Give him a call you will not regret it. 740-967-1078

unstopable1
01-22-2003, 10:58 AM
oynot400, How well has your motor held up since they installed it?
Do you just race or do you trail ride with it any? Did they charge very much for the parts and installation

oynot400
01-22-2003, 11:26 AM
I have not raced it since I did the install. However I did take it to Oklahoma, and did some riding around home. I would guess I have about 30 hours on it, give or take. I did all the wrenching myself, so I saved some $$ there. On the parts that I did puchase from FDO, I thought was reasonable and in the same price range as everyone else. I liked the turn around time on the parts that he machined, it was less than a week!
It has been running strong, I have some jetting to get dialed in yet that will help, but it has been too cold to run it. I can't wait until spring!!!!!:devil
Give Mike a call he will be more than willing to talk to you, answer and explain any questions that you have. Be sure to tell him that Tony sent ya! :D

GNCC#829
01-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Scott at profab told me before I got mine, he could get more/better power out of a 416, and not loose hardly any reliability.

trx400ex
01-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro Fab is the best, give Scott a call and he will hook you up, i just got my motor back and you wouldnt beleive how long it took. He said it would be about 2 weeks and it ended up i got it back in less than a week! And his prices are about the best there is except for carbs.

nj300exr
01-22-2003, 03:13 PM
good shop. good prices

300exazzkikr
01-22-2003, 04:10 PM
^---east coast atv is good...personally, i would get a service manual and do it myself to save lots of cash. It'll tell you step by step on how to rip it apart and just take your time and put it back together.

01-22-2003, 05:03 PM
There's TC racing and Rocky Ridge racing out here too that both do good work..although TC racing might have your motor for several months or years..:huh

Bean
01-22-2003, 05:07 PM
B&B is in NJ i think, talk to Bee, he preaches about them

Dave400ex
01-22-2003, 05:42 PM
TC Racing!!!! Baldwin is in Ohio, and a man named Bud Fischer is also in Ohio who many people do not know about. He is suppose to build some good motors....

unstopable1
01-22-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm kinda leaning toward FDO right now but if anybody else has had any engines built tell me by who and how well the motor is doing.I'm going to give mike a call and see what he has to say and offer.Any other information will be greatly appriciated
Thanks

XANDADA
01-23-2003, 06:34 AM
I've got the 250 over at Baldwin right now. Tim Farr sure swears by him and so far all I can say is he is very easy to work with and all around nice guy. We'll see what the end product is. Also JB Racing does a lot with 400ex's and he also will take your entire bike and take the motor out himself where Baldwin only takes the engine.

hondaracer31
01-23-2003, 09:59 AM
They built my 440 Stroker. I've had no complaints, in fact I love this motor.
They will build whatever motor you want and are VERY friendly and helpful.

Ex'r Marlin
01-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Bean
B&B is in NJ i think, talk to Bee, he preaches about them B&B is located in Bear, Delaware. Butch's phone number is: 302-836-2012:)

YLW400
01-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Bear....huh, they are closer to me then I thought :D

Dave400ex
01-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Baldwin is about 6 hours from me as well as Fischer's Cycle. Talk to 400MXer about Fischer's Cycle he has their 416 and likes it. Rocky Ridge would also be good....

jb400exxx
01-23-2003, 08:54 PM
there seems to be a lot of engine builders in ohio. i'll be goin to ohio technical college in september, maybe i'll bring my quad and get profab atv to do some stuff for me, if i have my 416 done b4 i go, i'll just have him port it and do a 3 angle valve job and all that. if it's not done by then maybe i'll just have them do it all.

01-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Scott at profab told me before I got mine, he could get more/better power out of a 416

Bring it on :macho :devil

I have to say that I am very happy with my motor builder, then again since it was done right here by my own two hands I had better.

The quality of all the shops mentioned seems good by what the members have said b4. You need to decide on what you want done and how much you want top spend and what time frame you need it back in and then start callin around and see who can accomodate you.

I have found this motor very simple and easy to work on once you know the few tricks to get it working correctly etc. There are some areas that require somewhat special tools and you may want to have some one with both experience and a flow bench to do any porting etc. but much of it is the same as any engine.

Good luck

unstopable1
01-24-2003, 12:39 AM
I'm going to give a few of these engine builders a call in the next 2 or 3 days to see what they have to offer.I'm either going to go with the 440 or 463 it all depends on whether I want to use my EX for just racing or use it for trail riding to.Give me your opinions and experience does the port and polish job on the 400 make a real noticble difference? And again if you have a 440 or 463 give me a description of it like what cam,piston,port and polish just whatever you done to it and let me know how it runs and holds up.If possible let me know what kind of horsepower its putting out? Thanks everybody for all the help so far its been a big help!!

3x440ex
01-24-2003, 07:16 AM
all i have now is a port job, 3 angle valve job, all around cam, and a pro meg e-series exhaust without any cylinder or piston mods at all, and raced a 440 without a cam and beat him every time:D he even had an 11.1 piston, port work with a decent exhaust system...........but if he were to remove the base gaskit and add a cam i know he could smoke me. It's just that his 440 isn't built right because the guy who did it didn't really know what he was doing.;)

01-24-2003, 08:39 AM
but if he were to remove the base gaskit and add a cam i know he could smoke me. It's just that his 440 isn't built right because the guy who did it didn't really know what he was doing.

I wonder if the guy who built his motor did this one too :) its been a real learning experience getting this thing right. You also have to think of all the people who paid some real money to get the Weisco and IMS 440 kits and ended up with a slug.

Well at least mine is done right this time.