PDA

View Full Version : 400 Ex New Purchase

JRS400
01-22-2010, 06:24 AM
HELLO, IM NEW HERE AND BEEN LURKING READING THREADS ON THE 400 EX'S. IM CURRENTLY LOOKING AT AN 07 400 EX NEW FOR 3600. I HAVE AN 01 WARRIOR MODDED UP NO MOTOR WORK JUST FULL PIPE, K &N, REV BOX, JETTED. MY QUESTION IS IF THE STOCK 400 IS GOING TO BE MUCH FASTER THAN MY 350 . I REALLY LIKE THE LOOKS AND THE POSATIVE REVIEWS OF THE 400 JUST DONT WANT TO BUY IT AND IT BE THE SAME POWER WISE AS WHA I ALREADY HAVE. IT WONT BE STOCK FOR LONG. PROBABLY DO THE SAME MODS. THANK YOU FOR YOU INPUT IN ADVANCE AND SORRY I JUST REALIZED MY CAPS LOCK WAS ON . THANK YOU - JUNIOR. ANY SUGGESTIONS TO PIPES AND MODS I SHOULD DO THAT WOULD GIVE ME THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK RIGHT OFF THE BAT ?

TRX01
01-22-2010, 06:32 AM
yes it will be a whole lot faster and more powerful than your warroir...mainly sense its a honda.....haha jk i used to ride a yammy, but anyway.......the warriors arent really powerplant machines so there not that powerful....the 400ex is a defferent story! there straight beasts

mitchamus
01-22-2010, 06:51 AM
one thing is you already own your warrior. so 4k in the bank looks nice too?

Can i ask how old you are? Do you plan on ever racing?
You may want to look at a 450r about the same amount of money i see used ones super cheap with pipe and nerfs already.

bigbad400
01-22-2010, 07:05 AM
oh yea it will be alot faster, alot more powerful. to know what mods to suggetst to you we kinda need to know how you ride, MX, XC, dunes, puttn around the yard doing wheelies etc. but a good all around pipe for a good price i hear is the lexx pipe, i never used one personally but i hear for your average guy thats a good pipe. race id go with curtis sparks or hmf. you can get quiet cores for both i think, and spark arresters. many will tell you the same, dont waste your money on a rev box on a 400 ex they make a thing called a monster coil, good investment made by amr racing, helps with cold starts and throttle responce is a little better, 400exs make most of there power befor the rev limit anyhow, it makes no sense to set a higher rpm unless you make it a stroked motor were its still gaining power in that rpm range. and there is easier ways to bypass a revers rev limit if your ex has reverse. other cheap power adders include the sparks timing key. it advances the timing 6* and makes the 400 really wake up. is like $30 shipped to your door and well worth every penny. i would also highly suggest a pair of used honda 450r front shocks, once you ride the 400s stock suspension youll know why. lol but for right around 200 you can upgrade to a good quality shock. i actually sold a set of elkas on tripple rate springs custom set up for me to buy stock 450r shocks. lol it was worth it. i like them alot better than the $550 elkas i had. i hope this helps. see if you can take it for a ride, after riding a warrior and jumping on a ex youll look like this:eek2:

JRS400
01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE RESPONSES. MOST OF MY RIDING WILL BE TRAILS, SOME TRACKS TO JUMP, AND WHEELIES. I DO LOVE HILL CLIMBS ALL KIND OF TERRAIN. IM 23 ABOUT 210 PUNDS. ID RATHER STAY WITH THE 400 BECAUSE ITS BRAND NEW A GOOD PRICE, AND I DONT KNOW HOW HARD OR IF ANYTHING IS WRONG WITH THE USED BIKE. KINDA TREATING MYSELF TO A NEW TOY. THE 450 SHOCKS WOULD THEY MOUNT DIRECTLY OR WILL I HAVE TO MODIFY ANYTHING? I WILL BE DOING PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING WITH THIS QUAD HILL CLIMBS, TRAILS, JUMPS NO COMPETITIVE RACING SO I DONT THINK I NEED A 450 BUT WOULD LOVE THE POWER OF ONE, BUT RELIABILITY OF THE 400 HONDA. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

mitchamus
01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Well i understand about the new vs used thing.

I personally did not like 450r shocks on my 400ex and i had +1 arms. Seemed like it rasied my ride height and i even had the adjusted all the way out. But thats me and there a tons of threads on the subject.

Well get yerself some good skid and belly plates.

I see your in ohio are you close to cleveland? If so go into HMF and get a nice slip on pipe.

JRS400
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
YES LIKE 15 20 MINS FROM CLEVELAND DEPENDING WHAT PART OF THE CITY. ARE YOU LOCAL ? WHERE DO YOU RIDE AROUND HERE WITH OUT GOING DOWN SOUTH? WOULD A SLIP ON DO ALMOST ASWELL AS FULL PIPE OR COULD I DO THE SLIP ON THEN ADD THE REST LATER? WHERE IS HMF ?

mitchamus
01-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I live in brunswick.
HMF is off of brookpark road. right by the FORD plant. I think you get a 20% discount if you walk in, but you'll have to ask.

Ya a slip on is fine unless you plan on cracking the engine open and doing engine work. If not get a slip on, open the airbox up and rejet. There will be a big difference.

I mostly ride wayne, crow sometimes, and we shoot up to silver lake a couple times a year. I do not have any local places anymore. To old to run from coppers.

JRS400
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
CROWS IS PRETTY FUN, USUALLY GO TO A FRIENDS PROPERTY DOWN SOUTH NOTHING MAJOR SMALLER MED HILLS, SOME MUD PITS . ILL CHECK THEM OUT WAITING ON MY TAXES THEN I SHOULD BE BUYING THE BIKE. SO FAR IM PRETTY WELL SET ON THE 400 FROM ALL THE RESPONSES AND THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR EVER SO IM GUESSING IT WILL BE A GREAT BIKE FOR WHAT IM LOOKING FOR. ILL CHECK OUT HMF AND THAT DISCOUNT THANKS FOR THE INFO

tri5ron
01-22-2010, 12:23 PM
JRS,
First, kill the caps lock.

so to answer one of your questions about the exhaust, Yes you can get a slip-on and grind out the head pipe welds, and be very near the same gains as a full system for minimal costs.
here is a thread on how to do the grinds...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=334885&highlight=stock+welded+header+opened

here is another recent thread you might find interesting, and has alot of related info you are seeking...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=422135&perpage=10&highlight=450r

Also, at the top of the 400ex forum is a sticky by Pappy that has a great list of threads you will certainly find intrest in...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410964

Happy reading,
enjoy your new toy,
Ride Hard, Ride Safe, and Keep the rubber side down.