PDA

View Full Version : shift shaft replacement

yz360
01-22-2010, 05:18 AM
the previous owner messed it up one time or another the splins on the bottom of the shaft are wore down and is there a way to fix it or how hard is it to replace.

Honda 250r 001
01-22-2010, 07:36 AM
for a tempory fix, you can weld the shifter on, it will ruin the shifter when you get done most lileky, but works if your in a bind...

There easy to replace though. You have to remove the kick starter, the clutch cover, then the clutch basket, and then it just simply slides out. and then you slide a new one in.

86 Quad R
01-22-2010, 09:12 AM
can be replaced as honda mentioned. not that difficult at all. is the shifter sloppy on the shaft when torqued down? if so you can put the shifter in a vice so that when you secure it, it will close the gap. afterwards, take a hack saw and make another gap. this may not apply to you situation but has helped me in a pinch. do not weld it.

post pics if you can of what you have.

Honda 250r 001
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
can be replaced as honda mentioned. not that difficult at all. is the shifter sloppy on the shaft when torqued down? if so you can put the shifter in a vice so that when you secure it, it will close the gap. afterwards, take a hack saw and make another gap. this may not apply to you situation but has helped me in a pinch. do not weld it.

post pics if you can of what you have.

yes if forgot to mention, he said you could use a hack saw, but i prefer to grind it down with a chop saw to let it clamp down farther.

machwon
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
If you replace the shaft, be sure to get a new shifter too. Otherwise the old shifter will prematurely wear out the new shaft. I've welded one several times with no issues when I needed to.

yz360
01-23-2010, 08:54 AM
i got a brand new shifter its just all the splines are gone off the bottom guess im gona do it the right way lol where is a good place to buy a new shaft