PDA

View Full Version : 2008 450r running problem ( spark plug melted!!!)

Grant Casey
01-22-2010, 03:27 AM
hay i just recentally bought a brand new trx450er 08 model

and it was going all goood untill about the 5th ride on it

now it seems when u punch the throttle on idel it has a massive dead spot and when im ridig an go full throttle it dies then picks up again but it is still sluggish compared to how it was b4.

i have pulled the carb down and checked everyhting znd thats all good, air filter is good

the thing i found was that the spark plug was stuffed ay like It WAS melted like most of the electrod was burnt away??

any1 got and ideas???? help lol

ill upload a photo of it in day or so

300ex mxracer
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Did you buy it brand new from a dealer? If so i would be back there complaining.

Scro
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Are there any mods to the motor, or is it bone stock?

wykyd450R
01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
The spark plug aint like ordinary plugs. If I am thinking what you are talking about, the "peg" or electrode is suppose to be really tiny, unlike standard plugs. Its like a tiny piece of wire. Its an iridium plug.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc32/NeRacinGoes/atv/101_0232.jpg

Grant Casey
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
oooo my bad yea its a irdidrm plug iv never seen one b4 so yea

yea the motor is bone stock
and bought it from a dealer brand new

300ex mxracer
01-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I would call the dealer and tell them whats going on. You might be get one of the few dealerships out there who are helpful and go to great lengths to make you happy

quad71
01-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Sounds like the accp is cloged make shure fuel squirts out of the little pipe that sticks up in the intake of the carb. mine was cloged from the factory 09450r.

Grant Casey
01-23-2010, 11:05 PM
hay mate so ur;s was clogged from factery

wat did it feel like mine feels like its suffactiing ay as like iits not getting enough fuel.. i cleaned the carb and wat not and yea there is fuel coming outta that thing, but i might clean it again to m ake sure its not clogged

did u take it back to the dealer or did u fix it yaself?

quad71
01-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Fixed it my self . what it ran like was extreme bog . if you have spray your good. check and see what leak jet you have my 07 came with a 70 and i put in a 55 and my 09 came with a 58 but i put a 55 in it also boysen quick shot 2 accp cover and a tusk fuel screw. very very crisp throttle response at idle can stab trottle as fast as i can no bog . check and make shure the gas tank vent and hose is not cloged.

Grant Casey
01-24-2010, 02:12 AM
cheers bud...

yea i orderd a quickshot today for it ay,,, and gona change the leak jet and all that..

just gotta wait for me exhuast to come then ill tune it then hopfully it will be all good

illl keep ya's posted on the progress

d3ktrix
01-24-2010, 03:04 AM
The quickshot is a waste IMO, if your getting a lean bog caused by a weak AP shot then changing the leak jet is enough to fix it.
Even with my 43.5MM FCR there is no need for any type of quickshot or contraption.
FCRs are great carbs as is, as long as u know how to tune them.

Grant Casey
01-24-2010, 03:16 AM
i dont think its a weak ap ay,, coz i checked it b4 and its squirts real strong i read elsewhere on this form about simaler people witht the exact same problem ay then just changed the leak jet and watnot ay
\

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=355882&perpage=10&highlight=carb problems&pagenumber=1

d3ktrix
01-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Grant Casey
i dont think its a weak ap ay,, coz i checked it b4 and its squirts real strong i read elsewhere on this form about simaler people witht the exact same problem ay then just changed the leak jet and watnot ay

The leak jet controls the AP squirt.

The leak jet lets fuel from the AP housing/plunger leak back into the float bowel, reducing the power of the squirt.

When u go from the stock 70 to a 55, the smaller jet lets less fuel push out of the AP housing when you hit the throttle. Which makes the AP squirt stronger curing the lean bog when you snap the throttle on stock bikes.