PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

screamin340
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Hey all New guy here with some new guy type questions!!

I just picked up a 2004 Ex from a buddy I couldn't stand to see it suffer any more.
ill give some quick details try not to confuse anyone
Was bought new in 2004 in Florida had 1 tank of gas and 2 rides then sat for 6 years I picked it up last week.
Emptied the tank put a new plug and battery in and she fired right up. I was really surprised.

Since then I have been over it with a finetooth comb and have checked everything changed all the fluids checked all the bolts.

She pops and sputters at just above idle but stays running

Runs for about 10 seconds at idle but is definatly getting better than before

At the higher RPM's she runs good for a few seconds then starts to bog down. then picks right back up

At the higher RPM's the exhaust manifold glows bright red just after about 6-8 seconds

I HAVE NOT cleaned out the carb I dont have a manual yet it will be here on Friday and I was afraid to tear into it. Im sure that has alot to do with it

Ive read a bunch about Jetting This quad was bought in Florida (sea level) I am now in Clovis New Mexico about 5000 ft. Could this have anything to do with it?

I would appreciate any help you all can offer.. Its killing me cause it runs and I want to run it around the block a few times!!

lester985
01-21-2010, 07:21 PM
welcome to the forum 340 yes clean the carb and see what happens from there did u get a good deal on the bike

honda400ex2003
01-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the site and the addiction, a good carb cleaning and it will run like a champ. I assume it is stock so the jetting is fine but the jets probably have some build up on them. good luck with the machine, just take your time and be careful not to strip any of the screws on the bowl of the carb or the brass ones inside the needle slide area. steve

screamin340
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome!!
I figured if I clean that carb out good it would run like a champ. I was really surprised how easy it started after sitting so long.
Yes it is still stock like I said my rode it twice then it sat he did nothing to it.. It was really ashame
Lester I did get a pretty good deal on it I picked it up for 600 and put 150.00 into it. with the battery, Ignition switch (he lost the key) Misc bolts nuts and fluids

Hopefully ill get it running right tomorrow after work.. and out for a ride on Saturday!!

Ill keep you updated.. Thanks Again

lester985
01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
we will help as much as we can but it a drug now u will see what we mean:devil:

tri5ron
01-21-2010, 10:20 PM
sounds like you got a smoking good deal.

welcome to the forum,...
and welcome to the disease.
It is terminal, and there is no cure.

06typeS
01-22-2010, 07:45 AM
agreed clean the carb, you are prob getting the red glow from it running lean and creating excess heat

Ratman
01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
welcome, If your not ready to take apart the carb. try using some seafoam in it. it will take care of the whole fuel system.

screamin340
01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
You guys are the best... I tore apart the carb tonight.. It runs like a champ!! Theres a slight stumble going through Mid throttle I think that will work itself out once I take it out tomorrow.

Thanks Again

screamin340
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Well.... I took this thing out today after about 10 minuets of riding..this thing was a beast... Not a single hic-cup... went through 2 tanks of gas

honda400ex2003
01-24-2010, 08:26 AM
congrats on getting it fixed. have a good time on it and ride safely. steve